LFS Listening to customers?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi All,

Just thought I would share some information with you.

I finally got tired of getting terrible advice from my LFS.

One staff member had true 'pearls of wisdom' and another was totally off base. I guess it all stems from: "All staff members are not created equally".

The problem was trying to figure out which one really knew about a certain topic and which one was .....shall we say ill informed.

I finally wrote to the head office - with not only my issues but a viable solution to the problem.

I didn't think I would hear back from anyone, especially since the "Feedback" form on their site was not working so I emailed it to another address I found on the site. I thought it would be lost in "I don't know what to do with this....why did it come to me????" land. LOL

Then someone thanked me for reporting the problem with the feedback form. Cool a webmaster who reads their email - nice.

Then I recieved an email from the "District Livestock Manager" saying that they are already working towards implementing it. Cool - can't wait.

Here is the idea:

Instead of expecting staff to remember facts about so many different species provide the Customers (You and me) with access to the information while we are in the store. I suggested printed sheets in laminated plastic. That way you are not counting on someone remembering or worse getting the exact wrong advice.
:Angel:

In the message from the "District Livestock Manager" he said that they were trying to put together a database for their website. He thought that perhaps they could put a kiosk in each store to access it. Or maybe just printed sheets.

I don't care how they get the info there - it is needed. Then let the staff be and additional source on their areas of expertise....or they can simply say "Give me a minute to look that up". Either way we get CONSISTANT information.

Come to think of it....if the store is creating their own database - for infringement reasons of course, it will all really depend upon how accurate their sources/researchers are.

Just thought I would share this with you.

I replied to the email and told them that I was always available if they ever needed "Honest Customer Feedback".
Let's see if they take me up on it.

:lipssealedsmilie:

hitman12131976

Resident Calculus Teacher
Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
They're probably going to try to hire you.

hitman12131976

Resident Calculus Teacher
Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
Most Petco's already have this, but they really don't supply enough species specific info.
Yep, just the major species, not all.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
hey anything is better then nothing. good job cmartin. most people would just complain about it. you went out and did something about it. if anything more happens let us know.

i would bet the District Livestock Manager really doesnt know about fish. they know about business so maybe if we all were a little more help full and email or try to help the workers it might make a change.

i know i could be a little more helpful and have a better attitude next time i go into a lfs or a petsmart.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
yeah if the LFS had this type of set up when i started fish keeping last april i might have given some South American Cichlids a try instead of being told "they are all agressive" now i have to get another tank if i want to try.

the book i use says not to keep corys with cichlids it this true?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
It's a good idea, and a step in the right direction. I just hope they don't get their info from the same places that Wal-Mart does (Pacus for 'larger' aquariums, 'Aquarium salt' required for brackish species... steaming piles like that).

chris331

AC Members
they'll probably be generic... we have some care guides at petsmart and they're not too great. basically says "this is a ____. it lives with other _____. it likes to eat ___________. Temp __________." and so on.

I guess anything is better than nothing though... If i didn't know about a fish, i'd grab a few books off the shelve with the customer and we'd look them up. good stuff.

mystic1

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
I had a similar problem with one of my LFS (I use a different one now) but I also was confused as to who knew what they were talking about. Well the only solution I could come up wit was put them to the teast so to speak. I came up with a couple of questions that I already knew the correct answer to and asked the LFS employees. Well I discovered fairly quickly who was guessing at the answer and who knew what they were talking about.

Snowy_The_Pleco

AC Members
May 20, 2007
That's a good idea. I'm glad you brought it to their attention.

Ok, I know this sounds dumb but what exactly does LFS stand for? Something-Fish-Store?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store