Drilling holes in glass aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
I read that this can be done, but I am afraid to attempt it. I have access to many drill presses and I saw some bits on ebay for drilling in glass.

I don't want to ruin an aquarium though, so I doubt I will try it.

Anyone know the specifics of drilling holes in glass?

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Certainly, do it daily. Proper equipment (I suggest a tripod glass drill, diamond glass bit, and a rubber dam) and lots of lubrication (water works best)....and make very sure that the glass you intend to drill is not tempered.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Personally, i found drilling glass very easy, on my first attempt...

Just let the electric drill cut under its own weight...Build a dam around where the hole is going with modeling clay or plastecine and fill it with water for the lubrication. Put duct tape on the reverse side of the glass to stop chipping when the bit gets to the point of cutting through the other side..As said above, dont attempt to drill tempered..To see if it tempered, look at the glass through sun glasses and if you see loads of black/dark looking blobs in a uniform patten in the glass, that means it tempered..

Niko

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I was afraid to drill a tank the first time I did it. I practiced on some scrap glass I had laying around and discovered that it really wasn't as big of a deal as I thought. It was honestly quite simple. It's somewhat different than drilling wood or metal -- the key is to let the bit do the work and not to force it.

Maxpower

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Personally, i found drilling glass very easy, on my first attempt...

To see if it tempered, look at the glass through sun glasses and if you see loads of black/dark looking blobs in a uniform patten in the glass, that means it tempered..

Niko

Make sure they are polerized sunglasses, normal ones wont work. I just drilled my tank for the first time and it was very easy, i used a 2x4 with a hole the same size as the diamond drill bit for a guide and a regualr drill, and jsut took my time. Carefull not to twist the drill tho it will bind and potentialy crack your glass. Post some pics when your done!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Make sure they are polerized sunglasses, normal ones wont work. I just drilled my tank for the first time and it was very easy, i used a 2x4 with a hole the same size as the diamond drill bit for a guide and a regualr drill, and jsut took my time. Carefull not to twist the drill tho it will bind and potentialy crack your glass. Post some pics when your done!
Yes, that is very true indeed, however, my definition of sunglasses are polarised, else they are not sunglasses...just my perception of glasses, sorry...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store