Black Molly with a couple of scales missing...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hitman12131976

Resident Calculus Teacher
Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
I noticed that my Black Molly has a couple of scales missing near its stomach. Will these grow back? Will they get infected? Is there some sort of medication that I can use to help this?

I have dosed the tank with a little bit more Water Conditioner which supposedly adds stress coat for the fish. Is that enough? The bottle states:

Provides a slime coating to help wounds heal and protect fish from abrasions. Unique colloid ingredients in the formula have been designed to protect fish’s delicate gills and membranes.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
It will help, but I would keep your water as clean as humanly possible.

The 1st Q is: What casued it? Is there any aggression in the tank? New introduction? Recent loss of fish in a school? Or is it a scrape? etc.

Either way the issue is a secondary infection so keeping the water clean and watching for any signs of illness are key. There are meds that will help as well should you choose.

hitman12131976

Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
To answer your first question, I'm pretty sure it was a scrape. I had to net the fish 2 days ago and after I caughter him against the class he shimmied his way out really quickly. So I think the net may have scratched him a little.

As for meds, what would be beneficial? Melafix, Pimafix, etc?

hitman12131976

Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
Anyone?

chris331

AC Members
try melafix as a precaution against secondary infections... keep some stress coat in there to help it heal. and give it a little time...

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
pristine water is most important, and I find melafix great for minor scrapes and scratches

hitman12131976

Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store