Reef log/Diary

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Before the big day arrived I had a lot of preparation to do to get ready for the new tank. First of all I had to empty my old tank so that I could move it to the other end of the dining room. Luckily enough Tim (LFS) had lent me a 100 (UK) gal container to put everything into.
new tank 003.jpg

Once the tank was in it's new position the fish were put back in with a minimum amount of rock.
new tank 002.jpg

I'd managed to get 30kg of live rock from Ebay for the bargain price of £160 the other week which has been sitting in 2 bins in my garage making sure it stays cured. Once the fish were out of the container I transferred all my rock so that I could keep it in my dining room so that it would keep warm easier.
new tank 012.jpg

Then the big day arrived and at 9.30 Tim arrived with the sump and the cabinet.
new tank 007.jpg
new tank 005.jpg

Once unloaded Tim then went back to the shop to collect the tank and arrived about an hour later. We then moved the cabinet into position - and as usually happens with me - disaster struck. The cabinet caught my big toe and ripped the nail upwards detatching it from the nail bed. Wouldn't have been too bad except that I'm on blood thinning drugs following recent heart surgery so the blood flowed freely (and widely). Any excuse for a sit down though!! There I sat with kitchen roll and ice-bag and let Tim get on with it!! Luckily enough my neighbour helped carry the tank in (funny thing is it's quite heavy!!) they were able to lift, move, rest (on my dining table legs!!), lift, move, rest - you get the picture! It was finally in position and I started with making the bacon butties!!. Lunch over and Tim and I started putting everything together. The sump was in place and all the pipework fitted.
new tank 010.jpg
new tank 011.jpg

Finally we got the brackets for the halides fixed to the wall, the halides went up and on they went. It's the first I've ever used Halides and I'm impressed with the difference even without any fish/corals/water in the tank.
new tank 008.jpg

I always thought my other tank was large (60US gal) until I see it next to the new one!!!!
new tank 009.jpg

As things currently stand, I am trying to "brew" 150 gallons of saltwater at the correct temperature ready for Monday, when Tim will come back, help me put the sand and water in and get the whole lot up and running.

Will keep you all posted.:thumbsup:

new tank 003.jpg new tank 002.jpg new tank 005.jpg new tank 007.jpg new tank 010.jpg new tank 011.jpg new tank 008.jpg new tank 009.jpg new tank 012.jpg

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
Very nice!!!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
I HATE YOU!! It's bigger than mine :wall: :wall:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
sweet..nice set up
I'm trying to convince the spousal unit that we need a 250 G...LOL

so far..it ain't working:headshake2:

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Well I made a bit more progress today. Finally managed to get the rock and some water in. Unfortunately because I'd run out of heaters and only had one between 2 bins when storing my new rock, I've had a bit of die off resulting in a slightly "eggy" smell even though my ammonia level is zero. I also ran out of containers to store my water in and we only managed to get about 100 gallons in!!!! Frantically "brewing" more water and hopefully it can all be switched on on Friday! Here's a few more photos showing progress so far.
new tank 014.jpg
new tank 015.jpg
new tank 017.jpg

This one is a piece of rock from my current system and today I noticed this sea squirt/sponge. I've only had it 3 years!! This hobby never ceases to intrigue me!!!
new tank 018.jpg

new tank 014.jpg new tank 015.jpg new tank 017.jpg new tank 018.jpg

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
is this a vivarium or an aquraium?....somebody dial 999 for the fire service.....more water please squire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking good so far Ali.....cool beans....

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store