New Eheim canister filter arrived!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I ordered the ECCO 2233 from Dr. Foster's and Smith, and I'm very happy. I also ordered some supplemental filtration media (EHFIsubstrate PRO, extra fine filter pads, micron filter pad) to create my own ideal filter. I am using this on a 20 gallon. I am very happy with it's quiet operation, but it had some air still in it after I followed directions and primed it the first time. Maybe this is because of the hoses, etc being full of air also.

Anyways, I'm not writing this so much as a product review (which I would have written in a different forum, but rather as a suggestion and comment for ordering from Dr. Foster + Smith. I have ordered 3 other times in the past (always on Sunday evening) and received my orders Friday afternoon. Well, this time I ordered on Tuesday evening and STILL received my order Friday afternoon! I am thoroughly happy with their service (when placing orders over phone, etc), speed, prices, and willingness to help out. I have heard a few stories of orders from Big Al's and some are good, some are bad. I know that they are generally a few bucks cheaper on some items, but I'd rather give my business to those who will give me the best service also.

On your next online purchase, give Foster + Smith a try, if you haven't already. I've never heard a bad order story (although I'm sure they have run into SOME situation in the past), and their track record with me is great!

Just thought I'd pass on my experience, since many people have wondered where to buy stuff online. I have also used "Live Aquaria", which is their live fish store, and was pleased with my order from them (ordered Sunday night, received Tuesday afternoon). I did have a few deaths (Neons are notorious for acclimation problems to newly established aquariums) and they promptly refunded me within their --10 DAY grace period--.:)

In case you are wondering......NO, I'm not on their payroll!:D

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
cool! I think I got my 2233 from Drs. Foster & Smith too.
shake the canister several times from time to time. that'll blow out any air. you'll really learn to like the disconnect valves. turn off input, turn off out put, turn off pump, disconnect and it's in your hands. I get a few drops on disconnect but they never leak.
good luck
:)

Sumpin'fishy

Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Thanks for the advice. Did you have more trouble with air when you first hooked it up than you do now after water changes?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Get their free catalog too! I'm guessing about everyone on here could use something from it... :)

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I never really had any problems with air after the first time. The first time it seems to trap a lot of air in various places that get wet after use and don't cause trouble later.
good luck
:)

Sumpin'fishy

Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Thanks alot for info;)

Things are running very quietly now and I'm happy with things so far. I'll post later, if I remember, with my opinion of filter cleanings, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store