Help! Fish-Sitting Sick Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AWilderDM

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2007
My baby brother went to Australia with his singing group and left me taking care of his 2-year-old goldfish, Dog. 5 gallon tank (I think) 2 snails, 1 plant. He told me before he left:
1. Dog had a tumor before and it burst and then he ate it (the fish ate it).
2. Dog had popeye before and survived
3. he had noticed a bulge in the Dog's left side recently.

Now the fish still has a bulge, but has a bump on the top. Today the pump has a cottony white substance showing in the center.
He is still swimming around and eating normally.
What should we do?:confused:
~Amy and Kim

PS - Dog CAN'T DIE, it's my little brother's only pet and he talks to him like he's his best friend. :help:

Mar 9, 2007
Looks like another tumor to me. If he's acting fine, I wouldn't worry right away.

Mar 9, 2007
Just make sure and keep the water clean. Is the tank filtered?

AWilderDM

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2007
Thanks - I hope you're right!

There is an air-bubble thing and a filter with a bio-bag with coal pieces in it. I just changed the water, about 40%. Changed the coal in the filter. Added some aquarium salt...everything my brother told me to do.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Tell your brother if he really loves the goldfish, he needs to get a MUCH larger tank and set up for it. Goldfish are supposed to grow HUGE and should be in at least a 4' long tank. When they are babies/juvies, they can start off in a 20G tank but as they mature and grow, they need much bigger tanks or they will be stunted and have all kinds of health issues.. like your brothers is having.

Do daily 2G PWC's (partial water changes) with dechlored and same temp tap water and vacuum the gravel during each PWC which will go a long way to helping the goldfish recover.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:iagree:

The best care for most any ailment is lots of water changes. How long before your brother gets back?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store