Mixing clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I currently have 2 false percula clownfish in my 56 gallon. We are purchasing a 90 gallon here soon but really want a clownfish that will host an anemone. We thought about getting a pair of clarkii's, but didn't know how this would go. Our visit to the petstore today showed us 2 clarkii's hosting carpet anemones. Is it possible to house these two together with a problem, considering maybe similar sizes? Or is there another type of clownfish likely to host an anemone we could get that might get along with out other two? We wont' be buying them until we get the 90 gallon setup, so it's trying to figure out research until then.

USCavalry19d

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Lexington, ky
Generally it isnt a good idea to house different breeds of clowns in the same tank. They will usually end up fighting and some will end up dieing from the stress. The only way it is possible is to have a large enough tank that they can set up their own areas in. Sadly a 90 gal tank wouldnt be large enough.

lotuskid

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
Nottm. UK
Agreed. The clowns would just end up fighting. Not 100% sure but it's possible the 2 clowns you already have might host an anemone if you got the right sort.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
quite a lot of people believe that false perc's will not host anything, but there is a very good a chance of them hosting a new or coral. Certainly would not be mixing clown species in the aquarium. Just an opinion..

Niko

txaggies07

My fish are happy...i think
Dec 22, 2006
College Station, TX
Mixing clowns doesn't work too well. Someone dropped off 2 false percs and a tomato clown to Petco one day. They asked me to take them since they could not. The percs were put in the 46g with 1 maroon clown (and some damsels) and the tomato was put in a 12g. The percs picked on the maroon and one day he died. The 2 percs are now being punished by having to be with the tomato in the 12g. They don't like it right now. I have to figure something out. I got in to saltwater to have maroon clowns so I had to get a new one.

sushigirl

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Do NOT combine clownfish cousins; they just Don't get along!!! :headshake2:
TRUST ME, I KNOW from experience!
(especially 2 false percs vs. 1 clarkii: the clarkii outbullied them both, in a 75 gal. tank, till I got rid of him)
But have Patience!!! :grinyes:
My 2 f.percs took about a year before they figured it out, and now LOVE their green carpet so much that they are even laying eggs Every couple of weeks!!!
I also have another f.p. in my 100gal. tank, who seemed Very anemone- challenged! It took over a year before he finally got the hang of it, and now is living in a triplex suite, since my one RBTA split--TWICE!!! :headbang2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store