tank system question (DAS)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tangcrazed

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have been using a different forum, but have not been able to obtain some information that I am looking for. Hoping this site might be of some help. I have been in the hobby for a year and a half. I have had 75 gallon reef tank during this time. I purchased an established tank from a coworker that was in need of some upkeep. The person who had owned it hadnt cleaned it in about a year. Amazingly there were still 6fish alive in the tank. Through out time I did weekly water changes until I was able to get the water parameters to normal levels. I have since changed the filtration and lighting and have added corals, live rock and other fish. The tank is doing great. My system is a DAS (dutch aquarium system). It has a closed filtration system built into the left corner of the tank. This consists of 2 seperate filter compartments, and skimmer compartment and a heater compartment. The two filter areas are supposed to contain 2 circular filter/spool pads that contain the "good bacteria" of the tank. Is anyone familiar with these systems??? I have removed these filter pads because I figured out a long time ago that they are just huge nitrate traps and I had tons of algae in my tank which these pads were a big source of. I now have a pump powered protien skimmer in the tank and have a powerful powerhead circulating, and a bio wheel penguin filter. I would like to remove the box that contains these compartments since I am not using them. The middle comparment contains a 1inch tube that runs from top to bottom. The tank also has built in shelves about 2-3 inches fromt the top of the tank that are on the front and back. This was to hold the lights and have everything be internal. The person who I bought the tank from stopped using them because the salt constantly corroded them and the whole thing would have to be replaced. With my new biowheel filter, the water overflow has to fall down about 2 inches before it hits the water. Its loud! I'm trying to figure out how I can filter this system without having to spend additional money. Sorry this is sooooo long. Thanks in advance for any advice. I can post pics of the system if its necessary

tank.JPG

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Im trying to understand the separate filter part. How big is it exactly? are you using any of the compartment.s at the moment? Is the tank glass or acrylic? How does the water move in and out of this section? The tank looks great by the way.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
You say you removed one form of 'nitrate factory' and installed biowheels?

They are also reknown to be nitrate factories.

Maybe some pictures of the filtration of your system would help a lot.

I know that I wanted to add carbon and some mechanical filtration to one of my tanks recently, so I took my old Emporer 400 filter, which sucks water up the middle, runs 50% of it through some filter pads full of carbon, and the other 50% goes through a spraybar to the biowheels.

I ended up taking the biowheels and spraybar out, and then sticking some hoses in the holes where the spray bars were and routing those to the backside of the pads. This way it just helps circulate water, runs it through the carbon and sponge, reduces the noise since the hose runs into the water and removes the biowheels.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yeah. removing the side compartment should be fine. Just add a normal HOB protein skimmer to replace the one in there.
i would also recomend removing the blue hippo and the yellow tang. They are already much too large for a tank that size.
as far as the noise of the filter, you could probably glue a piece of acrylic or something to the bottom so the water slides into your tank instead of splashes. Or if you want, you can get ride of the HOB filter and run your carbon in a media bag in something like the bubble trap of your skimmer.

tangcrazed

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
I will try and take photos of the filter section tonight. It will be much easier to understand with the photos. The 2tangs came with the tank. They are large,and I hope to upgrade to a larger tank at some point, but they seem to be doing well for now. The tank shot is only of the middle section, so there is more room than what the photo shows. I am very familiar with the tang and tank size discussions on forums! I have tried to remove the box unit that contains these compartments, but it doesnt budge and I dont want to chance breaking something in the tank, thats why I was hoping to find someone with this type of system to see if they had run into the same problem. I will post photos tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate all the input I can get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store