new 36X12 37gal project...finished!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104494&page=4

following on from this thread i have picked up my freebie 3ft tank :)

i was expecting something a little better to be honest but as a wise man once said...never look a gift horse in the mouth :)

the tank itself is in a proper state, and needs a VERY good clean but before i waste my time cleaning it i have slapped a load of water into it to test for leaks, i will leave it with water in for a day or so and then empty it to clean (assuming all is well)

so while that is sorting itself out i got to work building a stand out of the bits of wood i had in my garage, basic frame etc was easy and i have started to box it in (but ran out of thin mdf)

as you can see though i underestimated the hight of the stand and regrettably made it a little short, so to compensate for this i am going to put three strips of 3X3" wood across the bottom which will imo make it even MORE sturdy and also raise the height another 3inches

i then have to box off the sides and part of the front and add a fancy strip of wood across the top edge to hide the join between the tank and the stand.

i will paint the stand black and lacquer the stand when i am finished to add a shine to it, then i will put the tank ontop and start the in tank project, lol

i am thinking of an artificial beach front maybe have part of the tank sand leading up to a shore and then a rock cliff edge. but i am not entirely sure yet, the tank is tall 20" tall so i can be a bit creative with it. http://www.uklandscape.net/Roger-Holman/West Bay.jpg (like that)

anyway i will update this post next weekend when hopefully i will have the stand complete and i will be starting modifications to the inside of the tank!

any ideas for a theme? or a style? any pics of other tanks etc would be great, thanks

P6042728.JPG P6042729.JPG

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks good so far; will be watching for the updates!

A beach and rock cliffs...Lost?

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Another good project in the works......:) :coffee2:

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
this is what i have done today, i will paint it tomorow and finish off all the little touches, get the tank cleaned and ready and hopefully i can start the next stage of this project next weekend....the concrete 3d background :)

i will do the hood eventually...proabibly when the 3dbackground is in it's many many many water changes it will give me something to do while i am waiting

P6092737.JPG P6092740.JPG P6092743.JPG P6092744.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice.

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
not a great deal of progress today...well it looks that way!

the before/after shot of my tank and 3hrs30min of elbow grease in between...the algae was stuck on so hard that i had to use a razor blade and a scouring sponge just to get it off the glass!

i still have a little bit left to do on the tank, bottom of the tank and the left hand side which has been painted black needs scraping down.

the stand is painted and ready for the tank :)

pretty much means stage 1 is complete, i would have put the tank on the stand but i dont have any polystyrene tiles to put underneath it yet..i will pick some up this week.

i should have all these loose ends tied up by next weekend when i can start work on stage 2 which is the cement 3d background

P6102745.JPG P6102747.JPG P6102746.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Weird tank. Looking good though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store