Anemone Positioning?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
Hello-

I bought a Pacific LT Anemone yesterday and I was told that no matter where I place it, it will establish itself where it wants to in the tank.

Yesterday evening I noticed it had made its way into one of the caves (made of Live Rock) so I flipped the rock around that it was on so it was outside of the cave, where I could see it and feed it.

This morning it is back inside the cave where I can't see it or feed it. Does anyone know the behaviors of Anemones? Specifically new to the tank? How long do Anemones usually move around the tank?

Also, will it sting me if I pick it up and move it? I opened the bag it was in and let it slide out of the bag and into my tank so I didn't actually touch it. Do they sting other critters, like my eel? I don't want the Anemone in the cave because that is where my eel likes to hide. My eel seems a little stressed right now with the new crew (Anemone & Clown Fish), so I'd hate for him to loose his comfy cave too :headshake2:

Thanks for the help!

VTEEL

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Unless you are allergic to the sting you will be fine, however in saying that you shouldn't really handle them unless it is very necessary, they will also leave an unpleasant smell on your hands.

You answered your question in your first paragraph. Give it a few weeks to settle. How much light and flow do you have? The best way to discourage them from a spot is to direct gentle flow from a power head at them but remember they get stressed to.

Depending on your light and flow will determin where they will settle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store