what type of clownfish is Nemo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrkD

Unregistered User
Nov 12, 2006
Brooklyn, N.Y
stupid question. but yes i am serious. im talking about the character in the pixar movie "finding nemo". what species is he? i narrowed it down to ocellaris or percula. also, how can you sex a clownfish besides the their size? and at what age can you tell?

Last edited:

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Clowns are conditional hermaphrodites. They start of male and stay male as long as there is a dominant female. If the female dies, the dominant male will change into a female. I've always been told to buy a small 1.5" and a 2.5" clown to have a high rate of getting a pair. If the 2.5" isn't female already, it will change and keep the smaller one as a male.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
Wow! So Nemo's daddy would have later become his mommy...

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
he is an ocellaris or "false percula" clownfish
and nolapete nailed it on the head as far as sexing. also, if you are in no hurry, you can buy the two as small as you can find them and they are likely to be sexless juviniles if you cannot find a larger one. note: not all species of clownfish can be paired like this. but it is true with ocellaris.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Nemo is a false percula clownfish. There was something with his location and how he traveled that also linked to this, but I can't remember.

Reefkid 07

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
North Carolina
Hahahaha, this is a strange discussion but I have some ?'s. Isn't a true perc a clownie from the ocean? And what it is the difference between an occeralis and a percula? I have had 2 false percs for about 1 year and they act strange sometimes. The male will preform some form of submission to the female after of during a hassle or a light chase around. He turns on his side and vigorously twitches. Sometimes the female will go to the bottom and stirr up the substrate with her tail. They do this often but one of them doesn't do the other thing.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Hahahaha, this is a strange discussion but I have some ?'s. Isn't a true perc a clownie from the ocean? And what it is the difference between an occeralis and a percula? I have had 2 false percs for about 1 year and they act strange sometimes. The male will preform some form of submission to the female after of during a hassle or a light chase around. He turns on his side and vigorously twitches. Sometimes the female will go to the bottom and stirr up the substrate with her tail. They do this often but one of them doesn't do the other thing.
there are captive raised true percs just like there are captive raise false percs. they are different species, it has nothign to do with where they hatched. The easiest way to tell the difference is a percula has much much ticker bands of black boardering the white stripes while the false percs have very very thin black lines. Perculas are also generaly more aggressive.
the twitching is the male espressing his submission to the female. the female obviously wouldnt submit to the male because she is dominant. she is the one who swishes the sand and surface of live rock because she is clearing her nest or any debris or anything else. it is often a sign that the pair is ready to breed because the female will build a nest. however, this doesnt mean they will breed any time soon or at all, it is just her job to keep their area clean.

Mar 29, 2007
IF false perculas are only tank raised, then what happens when they are released into the wild? Do they magically change species? (read this off somewhere)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store