Got caught up in the DIY background hype...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Mine will be significantly differnt in structure and method than the last couple build logs though.

10 points if you can figure out my plan! (shouldn't be hard, I already blabbed about it in another thread!)

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
I really would like to know how your doing it without searching threads :)

If it works out well, is easy, and fairly cheap, then I would probably be doing it in the next couple of years, because after my 50g is all setup, im going ot be saving money for a long a** 125g tank...... and i REALLY like these backgrounds.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
I really would like to know how your doing it without searching threads :)

If it works out well, is easy, and fairly cheap, then I would probably be doing it in the next couple of years, because after my 50g is all setup, im going ot be saving money for a long a** 125g tank...... and i REALLY like these backgrounds.
Well if you've never worked with fiberglass before, I'd recommend playing with it, maybe building something simpler before diving into a large background... but if you're confident, my progress should paint a pretty easy to follow picture.

I'm taking a mold of the two back corners of the tank (or a partial mold anyways.) I've made this fairly heavy, because it will want to be really flimsy when I remove it, and I need it to retain it's shape.

After I take the two molds, I'll put them aside while I fnish the tank, and while the tank is cycling, I plan to build the shape I want for the front part of the background using foam board/expanding foam. I'll then mask the foam and fiberglass over the form (FG resin will eat the foam if I don't mask it.)

Theeen, I will remove the FG from the foam form, and scrap the foam. I'll trim the FG shell to the right shape, and join it to the rear mold with epoxy. On top of this shell I"ll do the concrete/paint/moss thing. Then seal with epoxy.

The reason for the extra trouble of the Fiberglass, is I'll be left with a HOLLOW rocky structure, so I won't displace much water, and I can make several openings in this structure, so it's a large cave in the rear of the tank for shy fishes to hide in. Because of the way the back of my tank is shaped, having the back of it be a partial mold, will allow it to kind of pop into place, and be held down with some rocks (FG is heavier than water anyway). This way I can quickly move it if someone gets stuck or I need to clean back there.

Anyways, I'm procrastinating... I need to go work out ;)

Fish Obsession

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
Interested to see how this comes out... Good luck, can't wait to see progress :D

hatcheridiot

Call me crazy...Crazy
Apr 19, 2007
Washington State
Hey, great idea!

Just a thought, you could use flexible sump pump hose (the black, corrugated 1 1/2" stuff) to wind little passages from one side to the other and spray-foam it in place!? That stuff is waaaay cheap! Maybe you could find wider stuff, (there's all kinds of tubing out there)I dunno. If they're short enuff, they wouldn't be too hard to clean either.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Hey, great idea!

Just a thought, you could use flexible sump pump hose (the black, corrugated 1 1/2" stuff) to wind little passages from one side to the other and spray-foam it in place!? That stuff is waaaay cheap! Maybe you could find wider stuff, (there's all kinds of tubing out there)I dunno. If they're short enuff, they wouldn't be too hard to clean either.
Yeah there is flexible pvc and ABS tube/pipe available in sizes up to 6" that I have seen, or even dryer vent pipe. That would be a great idea for someone doing the foam then concrete method. I think I'm going to leave the whole back open though, so there is a large refuge waterspace for less aggressive fish to hang out. I'm hoping I can be clever enough with the entrances to be able to see into the caves for the most part.

I think I may also stick a filter inlet in each of the large caves, to make sure debris doesn't build up in there. I'm also considering some dim LED illumination in the cave to lend a neat effect, and allow viewers to see into the caves better, while still providing adequate hiding.

The cave on the other side of the tank will be more challenging, and will need to be built in a couple of parts... I basically want the cave to come right up to the glass, with a large area where I can look into the cave from the front of the tank, so with the room lights off, I'll get a better opportunity to watch any shy fish, while they think they are hidden.

I'll take a digital photo of a sketch I made a few days ago, hopefully that gives everyone a better idea what I have in mind.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Well if you've never worked with fiberglass before, I'd recommend playing with it, maybe building something simpler before diving into a large background... but if you're confident, my progress should paint a pretty easy to follow picture.

I'm taking a mold of the two back corners of the tank (or a partial mold anyways.) I've made this fairly heavy, because it will want to be really flimsy when I remove it, and I need it to retain it's shape.

After I take the two molds, I'll put them aside while I fnish the tank, and while the tank is cycling, I plan to build the shape I want for the front part of the background using foam board/expanding foam. I'll then mask the foam and fiberglass over the form (FG resin will eat the foam if I don't mask it.)

Theeen, I will remove the FG from the foam form, and scrap the foam. I'll trim the FG shell to the right shape, and join it to the rear mold with epoxy. On top of this shell I"ll do the concrete/paint/moss thing. Then seal with epoxy.

The reason for the extra trouble of the Fiberglass, is I'll be left with a HOLLOW rocky structure, so I won't displace much water, and I can make several openings in this structure, so it's a large cave in the rear of the tank for shy fishes to hide in. Because of the way the back of my tank is shaped, having the back of it be a partial mold, will allow it to kind of pop into place, and be held down with some rocks (FG is heavier than water anyway). This way I can quickly move it if someone gets stuck or I need to clean back there.

Anyways, I'm procrastinating... I need to go work out ;)
that sounds good man, Id like to see a finished product, and a rough cost tally, this may be a good project for when i eventually get that 125G ive been dreaming of (actually dreaming of a 220, but space, and the wife factor prevents me from doing so)

Id just like to add as well, that I also could have been left with a hollow concrete shell if i had used acetone to dissolve the foam backing, I simply chose not to do this for many reasons, but i have to agree that the FG will probably make a nice BG.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
that sounds good man, Id like to see a finished product, and a rough cost tally, this may be a good project for when i eventually get that 125G ive been dreaming of (actually dreaming of a 220, but space, and the wife factor prevents me from doing so)

Id just like to add as well, that I also could have been left with a hollow concrete shell if i had used acetone to dissolve the foam backing, I simply chose not to do this for many reasons, but i have to agree that the FG will probably make a nice BG.
I thought of using just concrete over the foam and then dissolving the foam out, but I think the FG will be less prone to break or crack... it was actually your mentioning that idea in your thread thad gave me the idea.

I also saw a plastic background at the LFS that has a lot of space behind it... I thought why not take advantage of that space and let some timid fish hide in there?

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
I thought of using just concrete over the foam and then dissolving the foam out, but I think the FG will be less prone to break or crack... it was actually your mentioning that idea in your thread thad gave me the idea.

I also saw a plastic background at the LFS that has a lot of space behind it... I thought why not take advantage of that space and let some timid fish hide in there?
Shy fish would like to hide there but make sure you get water movement. I hid my filtler intake behind the wall i built; insures water flow and a hiding place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store