growth rate of fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
one of my guys is a gal...either that or I deserve the Nobel Prize for Fishology by virtue of successfully spawning fish in an all male tank.

I've seen one teeny little fry hiding out in the tank...I'm thinking that he/she is likely to be ate but curious as to the rate of growth...i.e. how long before he would be considered too much for a mouthful.

Inhabitants are malawi & a couple of tangs, no one bigger than 3 - 4 inches standard length. There are also 2 syno multipunctatus cat fish, again no bigger than 4 inches SL.

The fry's growth is likely to be compromised by the fact that I have nothing to feed him on and no way of feeding him anyway...I'm guessing he's nibbling on algae/detritus in the tank ? He/she is currently about 1 cm long, maybe slightly larger.

Yes it must be a hybrid, no it will not leave the tank.

As always thanks for any help.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Thats around a quarter of an inch, the same size when we discovered our electric yellows, we had 4, but are left with 2 now, it took ours about a week to get to 1/2 inch and are showing color and are safe, the first week seems to be the most critical time for fry, the pic shown represents one of our 2 fry at 2 1/2 weeks, 3/4 or so, in the beginning they gobbled finely crushed flakes, making sure they got some, now they can eat about 2 brine shrimp, the other fish know there around but don't seem to bother them.the other fry we have is about 1 inch after 4-5 weeks,, just our experiences........:goldfish:

IMG_0883.jpg

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
cool thanks buddy :)

hey he might just make it...I was considering siphoning him into a breeder net but figured he's managing so far so let him be.

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
Ours hide in the smallest spots, they do keep a low profile but as in the pic do swim around......:)

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
growth rate often depends on many factors its kinda hard to say how fast yours will grow.
Of course it does, by the looks of Coler's tank i did"nt feel the need to mention that. But for a beginner a clean tank and water will effect the over all growth rate and health........:)

MbunaFishKeeper

keeper of all wonderful cichlids
May 28, 2007
England
Hey coler,

i was just wondering if we could see some more (NEW) pics of your tank thanks.

Howard

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Hasn't really changed since the last set...threads in sig :)

MbunaFishKeeper

keeper of all wonderful cichlids
May 28, 2007
England
ok i'll try n post some of my tank (cycling atm) that is if i can find my camera:dance2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store