Custom tank questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefkid 07

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
North Carolina
I have been thinking about ordering a custom tank, The dimensions would be 31x21x18. I can go an inch more each way to specify that it is exactly 55 gallons. Well, here is the confusing part, it has to be a convex. I would like someone to gueaa a price for me bc the quote sites a SLOW. I would like a black background. glass or acrylic (price both if possible) probably 2 92 watt pc bulbs and canister fliter. Oh also, built in reflecter w-hood. I was in a hurry lata.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
There are many places you can get quotes. This hobby is all about taking your time. If you can't take the time to get a quote maybe you shold rethink getting a bigger tank.

Reefkid 07

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
North Carolina
Yes, I'm very patient, but the minimum quote reply was around 6 months. I have alot of patience and take my time. I understand you have to do that in this hobby. Ok, I was planning on getting it before we go back in to school so I can have time to stock with out getting caught up in shcool tasks. I am fine with regular daily fishtank tasks and school but last time, I put up a tank while I was in school and it was hard.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Soooo, you're saying they need 6 months to even give you a quote?

I'd look elsewhere.

Actually, I'd look in craigslist, ebay, and reefcentral local forums and get one sooner that costs less and might be an inch off in the dimensions.

But I'm frugal like that...

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
6 MONTHS:eek3: I would surf the net there are a lot of custom tank builders, I am sure somone would guive you a quicker quote.

Reefkid 07

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
North Carolina
Well that was just one of the sites, sorry. Are there any sites anyone would reccomend? The last thing I need is a cheaply made aquarium. I emailed them about 1 1/2 weeks ago and no replies yet. I was also wondering if this would be ideal swimming space. I read that it is good to have long, narrow tanks but I think these dimensions are cool because they look more natural to me...and they fit my dresser perfectly. I figured out the capacity that the custom tank would be from a tank I saw on ebay.

It was 24x24x25 and 60 gallons and I want 55 gallons so I found the avg. og the 60 gallon which was 24.3 so I rounded that to 24. Then I found the avg. of my custom dimensions and got 22.6 (if i can remember) so I rounded that up to 23. Then I said if 24"=60 gallons then how many gallons are in 23"? simp. form= 24" x 23" = __G?
60G x

So then I multiplied 60G into 23" to get 1,400. Then you divide 1,400 by 24 " and get 55 gallons. I don't think I remembered all of the numbers exactly but the equation was right, I think.

Sorry about the eye bleeder:lol

Last edited:

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I don't know of any off hand but there are quite a few mentioned on reef central in the large tank section. Hope that helps, you could also see what people have to say about the quality of the product first hand.

Reefkid 07

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
North Carolina
Well i got a quote today(alot faster than i thought it would be) and he was really nice. He said that it would be about 1400 and that he could get me the same dimensions but rectangular for a very small fraction of the price. Well, it was my moms idea for a convex anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store