Moss wall questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
OK all, I started my moss wall a couple of weeks ago, inspired by a couple of discussions that were floating around. I decided to experiment a little using a single mesh screen (mosquito screen) as opposed to using two screens to sandwich the moss. I used a tiny latch-hook hook to pull the moss through the screen at different places and am nearly ready to hang it.

So... I can't seem to find suction cups that would work for this. Most of the ones I have at home and that I've seen at stores have the cup portion with a receptacle where the plastic airline clip pushes in. I haven't found any that are one-piece with a small clip to push through the mesh, or maybe a little hook. I'm looking for places to buy the ones that folks mention they have been using for the moss walls.

Also, does anyone see a problem with the non-sandwich screen approach (other than the tedious poking/pulling necessary)? I gathered that the sandwich method simply allowed for securing the java moss and providing a larger mesh on the outside to grow out of.

Thanks all...

redswi

AC Members
Jan 12, 2007
I made mine the same way , but I used plastic canvas....I found some small suction cups at ace hardware by the bulk fasteners.... they had little hooks on them which I took off, and replaced with fishing line

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
I used the suction cups used for airline tubing in mine. It won't matter eventually when it grows out, you can't even see it. I used canvas, which I cut a hole in the middle of and stuck the suction cup through. Just enough so that it would hold.

wesknox

AC Members
May 3, 2007
I know I've seen "lettuce clips" (for feeding vegetarians) that have suction cups on them. If you picked up a couple of them you could secure the top edge and let the bottom edge rest on the substrate (?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store