Leather Toadstool Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I have a bunch of leather toadstools all over. I have oine that is very big, to big, and is starting to tear apart kind of. One piece broke off and drifted to another rock, will it root and grow up again, or will it die, and should I remove it?

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
It should grow a new toadstool. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't start to rot, other than that leave it alone (or use a frag method to attch it to ruble so you can place it later) and enjoy your new coral. I would also check your water params as in some but not all cases this can be a survival attempt when they are upset about something in the water.

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
My params are fine. It is a seriously HUGE toadstool. The rest in the tank are fine, I am sure it is just from sheer size it broke off.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Probably is but I would still sugest running the tests, maybe I am paranoid but I run water tests any time anything in my tank looks funny or acts weird in any way. Better safe than sorry when dealing with a box of water that has thousands of dollars worth of hard earned money in it.

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I agree, what I meant by params being fine is I tested them last night. I knew the piece was going to break off I was just not sure when. So I was curious to know if that would be ok and would root and grow a new one.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
This is actually how we ended up with one of the toadstool leathers in our tank. One of the LFSs by us has a nice white toadstool leather and it just dropped a small piece off one day, which started to grow. When it got to be about the size of a quarter, we asked if we could buy it (since he surely wasn't going to frag the larger one and the larger one isn't for sale). He cut it off the rock and sold it to us. It's growing very well in our tank and actually has the nicest shape out of any of the toadstool leathers in our tank. The guy at the LFS told us that toadstools will just drop a frag every now and then once they get to be large enough and conditions are right.

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Mine dropped 2. I am trying to grow one in my tank, and the other I am trying to get attached to a rock in another tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store