2 new Sick angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Hi all - I have 2 angels that are not doing well. Nitrites, ammonia both are 0, and nitrates 10. The tank has been up and running for over a year (and was set up using everything (filter, gravel, etc.) from a prior tank that had been running for several years. The angels and corys are all new to the tank (the old inhabitants (L. dorsigera and tetras) were traded to the LFS...so no one in the tank was in QT since all the inhabitants are essentially new (except the old shrimps). Tank is 30/33 gallons, heavily planted, 3 angels, 3 corys and two ammano shrimp. Temp is 77, pH 7.4, KH 4, GH 8.

The two angels both came from PetSmart. The small angel has been in the tank 3 weeks, was picked on by some L. dorsigera (damaged fins pretty bad), but the dorsigera went to a LFS. No one is picking on the little one, but it spends significant time with clamped fins (which are doing better since the dorsigera went away), has really vibrant colors, seems weak, and hangs near the top but is not gasping or showing respiratory problems at all (which is odd). Until last night, it was eating well, but it didn't eat for the first time then. I did a salt bath for him yesterday, and I'll see how he is when I get home, but the vibrant colors yet clamped fins make me think I've heard of a disease with those sypmtoms but I can't recall what it was...any ideas?

The other sick angel looks quite a bit like it has velvet (although I haven't had velvet in a tank or on a fish in years), but it also has clamped fins. It's still very active and eating well. I thought I had some med's for velvet, but they must have been tossed during a cleaning fit. I also gave him a salt bath (I'm old and have faith they can help things out a bit), but I'm pretty sure he'll need med's for the velvet. Any suggestions on what I should use and if I should QT him or leave him in them main tank on the theory he has already possibly infected it? I've also just considered trying two more salt baths with each being 48 hours apart...what do you think?

Finally, I've not kept corys in over a decade...do they have any medication issues for anything that would be used to treat velvet? What about the ammano shrimp (I've had them 3+ years...how long do these guys live?)?

Thanks,

Eric

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what are the symptoms?

I usually qt my angels and treat for parasites. std precaution.

I only treat with anti biotics if there are Sx that lead me to believe bacteria infection.

stress usually is the leading problem..opens up the fish to other issues.
I treat angle for parasites as there has been a lot of problems with camillanus and capillaria.

keeping the water clean with frequent water changes will help.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Definitely no signs of camellanus worms (I used to keep loaches and that was a frequent issue for new arrivals). The small one was seriously stressed by the dorsigera. I did a 50% water change Sunday, and I may do another tonight. No velvet looking patches on him/her.

The black marble with the velvety look - definitely not a water quality issue in my tank - any recommendations on what to use? I can shift him to QT easily and treat there or continue with the salt baths as a more passive treatment (since he's eating and acts normally). His fins aren't exactly clamped - just down - and I'm unsure if that's related to the possible velvet or if it's a sign of submission to the totally healthy, dominant silver angel in the tank (he's stunning). The black marble is one pretty fish, and I don't want to lose it.

Eric

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Salt wont cure velvet. If you want to treat for it try QuickCure.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Quickcure, huh...should I treat in QT tank or the main tank? If the main tank, any worries with the corys (are they sensitive to meds)?

Thanks,

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Well, the little one died while I was at work, but I'm not overly surprised.

In contrast...the other one is looking much better already - makes me wonder if it wasn't velvet to respond so quickly. Maybe some fungus that was sensitive to salt? Examined it with a flashlight and couldn't see any sign of the film that was there yesterday.

Regardless, he looks good except for one of the long ventral fins (I think those are the ventrals...forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong), is bent/broken at bottom and kind of dangling. Anything I need to do or should I just leave it alone?

I'll probably do a second salt bath for less time tomorrow just to be safe.

Thanks,

Eric

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
two tanks is probably correct if it is velvet(dino flagellates I understand)

parasitic like ich. and treated in the same manner(copper based med)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store