bulb anemone not looking to good

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cfasulo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2006
I bought a bulb anemone cause my daughter wanted a home for nemo but the clownfish hasnt taken to the anemone i have been reading that if the clownfish is tank bred that it might not take at all.

So my anemone doesnt look to good could that be because its not getting enough food. ?

Any answers or advice you can give me it would be greatly appreciated.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
could be food, lighthing, water quality, placement. Please tell us more about your tank.

cfasulo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2006
I checked my water cause thats what i thought it was, but the water quality wasnt bad. i have sun lights and the blue bulbs i dont know exactly what they are called. I wake up at 545 in the am and i put the sun light one on for about 10 to 15 minutes then i put the blue bulbs on with the sun light until about 8 pm then i turn the sun light bulbs off. and leave the blue bulbs on for about 20 minutes. when i put him in the tank i put him low in the middle of the tank so he can get the most light. then he moved to the left side of the tank kind of under a cliff. help me out guys

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
First, do not move the anemone once placed in the tank. Let them move on their own and find their best place. Second, what size tank and type/ wattage lights are you using? And lastly, the blue lights are the most important for the tank.. the white/sun light is mostly for us humans to see the inhabitants in what we consider normal looking light, but it is the blue that sustains photo sensitive creatures. You may be leaving the lights on a little to long.. I usually tell people no more than 12 hours a day (someone please correct me if I am wrong about that). I have my blues come on at 10am, sun at 11am and sun off at 9pm, blue at 10pm.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Ok well you need to get to know your equipment a little better. sun and blue bulbs tell us nothing that we can use to help you. Please post the results of your water tests and tell us more about your whole system, without this information all we can do is guess as to what the problem is. How big is your tank, , find out more about your lights, do you have a sump, how much flow do you have, what do you use for a filter, do you use any special media, how old is the tank, how much LR do you have, what foods do you feed, how often do you feed. This is all very important info, without it nobody will be able to help beyond a guess.

Judgeing by the fact that you don't know what type or wattage lights you have I would guess that you are new to the hobby, this is a great hobby and we are glad to have you here and to help you. In the future please research things before you buy them. Anenomes are generally suggested for experienced hobbiests only as they are very hard to keep.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
First, do not move the anemone once placed in the tank. Let them move on their own and find their best place. Second, what size tank and type/ wattage lights are you using? And lastly, the blue lights are the most important for the tank.. the white/sun light is mostly for us humans to see the inhabitants in what we consider normal looking light, but it is the blue that sustains photo sensitive creatures. You may be leaving the lights on a little to long.. I usually tell people no more than 12 hours a day (someone please correct me if I am wrong about that). I have my blues come on at 10am, sun at 11am and sun off at 9pm, blue at 10pm.

This is NOT true for the most part. Yes you are keeping your lights on too long, but the sun lights are far more important that the blues. Blue lights are used only to make the tank look better, the sun lights are what the corals need in order to live, but the need a light in a certin color spectrum, somewhere between 6500K and 20000K. Blue only makes our tanks look pretty.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Wow.. really? Learn something new every day. I know the intensity of the light matters, which is where the white helps out, but for years I always thought it was the 460nm lights that actually got the corals/phytoplankton active and growing. I stand corrected.

So, your stating that only the "blue vs white light" part is wrong, correct? The other parts about moving the anemone, wattage of the lights are correct? Actually, I just did a google search on phytoplankton lighting requirements and it only states this:

"Photosynthetic organisms contain chlorophyll a, which selectively absorb light in most wavebands except the green to green- yellow."

Since white light emites all colors, including green-yellow, it is just wasted light to phytoplankton is it not? Hense the reason that the blue light is better (spectrum wise, not intensity) than white lights. I am not trying to be a jerk and contradict you, I would like the learn the truth as well.

Here is a chart of what light spectrum photosynthetic organisms use best. As you can see, it does use the blue side of the spectrum more than any other part.

Last edited:

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
The blue helps them flourece but the white light that simulates the suns light is what makes them grow, just like the sun in the wild. There has been some thought that blue helps but corals can not live on that alone whereas they can live on sun/day lights without any supliments.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
ok, I understand where your coming from. White emits the whole spectrum which phytoplankton can then get the red spectrum as well. I never meant to infer that one only use blue lights, just that the blues add an enourmous amount to the photosynthetic process than white alone.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Not true at all, most corals do much better under 10K than 20K if blue was that important wouldn't that be oppisite of what it is since the 20K is much more blue??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store