ABOUT MY NEW GOLD BROWN ALGAE EATERS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok I tried ottos but they didn't make it not enough brown algae in the tank at the time and I didn't realize I also had to supplement their diet. After some reading and educating myself more about algae eaters I bought two gold brown algae eaters tonight. I have alot of brown algae in the tank now and read that feeding them zucchini to supplement their diet helps is it ok to use frozen zucchini that I defrost or is fresh better I also heard that boiling it beforehand is better? Also how often do I feed the supplement to them? I was wondering would spirulina flakes also be a good supplement for them? Any advice would be helpful as I want to take very good care of these guys.:grinyes:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
This a pic of the gold brown algae eater

The LFS calls them gold brown algae eater. I am not sure of the species name. They looked like otos to me but the ones I had before were like a dark gray color with a black stripe on their sides.

algae eater.jpg

Mabel

Fish are Friends; not food!
May 10, 2007
OHIO
What types of Fish eat that nasty brown algae? I have brown algea on a rock and some of my plastic plants.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What types of Fish eat that nasty brown algae? I have brown algea on a rock and some of my plastic plants.
Otocinclus catfish.:)

Avoid the CAEs. They have a taste for slime coats as they mature.

Mabel

Fish are Friends; not food!
May 10, 2007
OHIO
Do you have a picture or can some one link me to a pic of the OTocinclus Catfish?

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
:huh: Ok now I am confused what is the difference between CAE'S AND OTOS. What does CAE stand for the LFS just called these fish gold brown algae eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store