I got a sun coral - pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
Here is my brand new sun Coral. It's got like 20-30 polyps. I couldn't believe they had such a nice one at the LFS for $35. I haven't even had it for a full day yet, but it has not opened up yet. Eventually, it will and I can't wait. Any tips on how to get them to come out?

Also, i'm prolly going to get some more live rock so he's more under shade and less in the light.

IMG_1898.jpg IMG_1900.jpg

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
The disadvantage of having such a beautiful coral as a sun coral is that they tend to come out at night. My suggestion would be to tuck it in a slightly sheltered area so that it's not in direct light although it does look like it's in a slight cave. Saying that mine did come out occasionally during the day but it was mostly night time! Try squirting a tiny bit of food over it but not directly at it.

Nick540

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
i also have a sun and i have found that keeping them off the sand is a good idea, and generally keeping sand away from it. Also try and feed at the same time everynight, then thy come out at that time and get used to a regualr feeding. I feed mine at 11 every night.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
hmmm okay good to note. thanks for the advice.

I actually just bought another 2.83 lbs of live rock and made a better cave area for him. now he's much more sheltered and shady. I have loose bits of live rock rubble that I could prop the sun coral on if need be to get him off the sand. I'll keep my eye on him.

saltyjane

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I have found that they do just fine in the light or in the dark if they are fed regularly. They love lots of flow and when they "smell" the food from feeding your fish they will usually open up. My daughter currently has one in her tank and she has been successful in keeping it alive for over a year now feeding it exclusively frozen cyclopeeze. It has gone from the normal pale orange color to the most brilliant firey orange you've ever seen. She fills a little Salifert ml syringe and bastes each polyp every other night. Mine loved small meaty food like frozen Prime Reef minced up or tiny bits of silverside fed with a tweezer. These methods cut down on the possibility of polluting your tank with too much food .......all the food is grabbed by the sticky polyps. They are a high maintenace coral but a beautiful creature if you have the time to care for it. The speciman you have is in great shape. Just be sure its getting adequate flow. If you have fish that will bother it when you feed cut the top off of a plastic pop bottle and cover it. You can squirt food in through the top and fish can't steal it, but watch out you don't use too much food this way......don't want to pollute your tank. My daughter feeds her after the light go out when fish have retreated into the rockwork for the night. If the coral proves stubborn to open, you can take the coral and put it in a small bucket filled with tankwater and small powerhead for circulation. Drop a little food in and once it opens turn the powerhead off and feed it manually .....then return it to the main tank. You should be fine to leave it in your tank for feedings once trained to open........

HTH
Janey

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very sharp!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
the coral still hasn't opened up yet. but I'll get it to!!!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
Where can I get a syringe that will work?

Walmart, Petsmart, cvs? where should I look? I have millions of stores about 15 minutes away from me so where ever shouldn't be a problem. thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store