Question about the API Test Kit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sirsears

AC Members
May 24, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to establish what my PH levels of my tap water are. I bought the API test kit and tested the water this morning after letting it sit out overnight. For those of you that have this kit, do you know if the color would change if it is out of the range of the test? I used the regular PH kit first, and it came out with the bluish color, which is 7.6. Just out of curiousity, i then used the high PH test kit, and it came out with an orange hue, which would indicate a 8.0. Which is correct? And does it matter when it is so close? I thought this kit was supposed to be very accurate though..

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
1st, as to the pH readings the low pH tester only reaches 7.6, which it will indicate for anything above 7.6 The high pH scale goes from 7.4 thru to 8.8, thus the 8.0 readings is accurate if done properly.

2nd, the test kit is accurate to approx. 0.1, so yes it is more than we need. generally swings within 0.5 within a 24 hour period is survivable by most fish (not all).

Lastly, I'm not sure what you are testing for, but I would caution against altering your natural pH; however, knowing your pH and the pH of the environment that you acquire any future fish is critical.

Just curious. Good luck! ;)

sirsears

AC Members
May 24, 2007
I thought you were supposed to test your tap water before adding any fish, just to have a base number later on if there are any problems, and to see what kind of fish i can add.. I thought certain fish are better off with different PH levels.. And I am not going to do anything to alter it, but is 8.0 on the high side for tap water? I believe i did it accurately, just added 3 drops to the test tube for the regular ph kit and 5 drops for the high ph test kit..

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I actually did the tap water ph test last night and again this morning, last night out of the faucet it looked to be around 7.8, and this morning after letting a bowl of water sit out, about 20 hours, 7.6, I agree it can be difficult to tell the differences sometimes, i also recommend not adding any ph modifying solutions, the fish wont know the difference, and the chemicals wont do them any good.Your fish will adapt to the ph no problem, i would say your ph is around the 7.8 mark, i also do both tests and the call it somewhere in the middle as an average, my tap and tank ph dose
'nt seem to really change, with the city water we have.........:)

Last edited:

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I thought you were supposed to test your tap water before adding any fish, just to have a base number later on if there are any problems, and to see what kind of fish i can add.. I thought certain fish are better off with different PH levels.. And I am not going to do anything to alter it, but is 8.0 on the high side for tap water? I believe i did it accurately, just added 3 drops to the test tube for the regular ph kit and 5 drops for the high ph test kit..
You are right, I was just clarifiying to be sure ;)

To test the tap though it needs to sit out for a day to be accurate (i.e. what will it read after being in the tank), but I test mine both right out of the tap and after a sit-time as Weeser has mentioned just to be safe. I also do this every so often to ensure my peace of mind and when acquiring new fish (I test the water from the LFS).

A pH of 8.0 right from tap will propably read somewhere around 7.7 - 7.8 after it sits. I have my tanks at 7.6 and my tap reads between 7.8 and 8.0

You are correct that not all fish can adapt to some extremes, but a pH of 8.0 should handle any fish that you will come across at the LFS.

sirsears

AC Members
May 24, 2007
You know, I has asked a similar question on another thread and was told to let the water sit out overnight, which i did, but it was tap water! I should have assumed that they were talking about the aquarium water.. :)
But it is good to know that the 7.8-8.0 level is not too high, thank you for that info..

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
You know, I has asked a similar question on another thread and was told to let the water sit out overnight, which i did, but it was tap water! I should have assumed that they were talking about the aquarium water.. :)
But it is good to know that the 7.8-8.0 level is not too high, thank you for that info..
The tap you let sit out,,,,,,,,,,,aquarium water can be tested at any time..

sirsears

AC Members
May 24, 2007
Ok, so i was correct in letting it sit out.. thanks! I just was under the impression from reading the test kit instructions that if the PH level is outside the range of the test kit, then nothing would happen to the water.. i sent an e-mail to the company, of course no one responded. But if you guys are giving me the assurance that the fish will adjust to the high PH level, then i am comfortable with it. Arent there some fish who like the water on the acidic side though?

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
Some do, what type of fish are you considering, once your tank is set up and established you will have a better idea where the ph is going to rest at. This is just one site out of many check out the fishes and there ph ranges http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=830...:)

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
Although there are some fish that prefer water that is on the acidic side, from what I understand it is usually only important to recreate that for breeding purposes. If the water in your LFS is has a different pH for some reason (different water system for example), you can slowly drip tank water into the holding bag for about an hour to help the fish get used to difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store