Sick Oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loveandaPLATY

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I went away for two days and I came home to a sick fishy. He seems to have a bit of fin/tail rot, although its not too severe. What problems me most is the redness of him. He is usually all orange. When I saw him he is really red behind his gills. I have medicine that I have been treating him with but I can't tell if its gill disease or septicemia. The redness is kind of all over to about mid-drift of his body. He's eating okay but I put him in a hospital tank and he doesn't like being alone. I gave him I believe Maracyn or Maracyn 2. I'm at work so I can't look at the box. It says it treats all of those diseases. I'm baffled as to what happened! He's eating okay but he looks really bad. Could the temperature of the water be at fault? It's been really hot and his water has been going up to the upper 70s. There is another little goldfish that swims in the same tank, and he is fine. I'm not really sure what happened, I just really hope he gets better.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
What size tank? How long has it been set up? How big are the goldfish (body lengths)?

What are the water parameter test results? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc.?

loveandaPLATY

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
Syracuse, NY
10 gallon, set up for 6-9 months, fish size 1-1.5"

nirates were a little high. everything else was within range except the tank water was a little warmer than usual. I put him in a hospital tank and treated him with maracyn 2. he's doing much better. I just kind of freaked out.

Last edited:

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Two goldfish in a 10G tank is two too many. Goldfish need much larger tanks. They will become permanently stunted in a 10G tank and have health problems all of their lives. They are supposed to live around 25 years.

You are going to have to spend some money on them... either on a larger tank or on lots of medicines. If you get a 55G tank (often found used for under $50.00 on Craigslist.org, Garage Sales... and sometimes for FREE on FreeCycle.org), your two goldfish will be much healthier and you will save the $50.00 by not having to buy so many medicines/chemicals that you will need for each time they get sick in the 10G.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
10 gallon, set up for 6-9 months, fish size 1-1.5"

nirates were a little high. everything else was within range except the tank water was a little warmer than usual. I put him in a hospital tank and treated him with maracyn 2. he's doing much better. I just kind of freaked out.
Glad he's doing better :)

There's no real 'range' for ammonia/nitrite - they need to be at 0 and you can have problems if they are not.

How high were the Nitrates - high Nitrates (people may say 40 or lower, I would shoot for 20 or lower) would indicate a need for more frequent water changes & gravel vacs (or better gravel vacs) or a bigger tank. I would strongly urge you to get a good size tank or you will continually have problems of this nature, and your fish will not thrive, in fact the opposite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store