Tank materials?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Hi, I was wondering: Am I missing things that my tank needs?

I have the filter, net, fish food, gravel, live plants, fish, and the tank is heated.

Do I need anything else? Will I need anything else for my 75g?

Just wondering, because I see ppl with like 20g tanks under larger tanks for some reason, and I see PVC pipe and wonder what it's for, etc.

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Depends on how high tech you want to go, and how much money you want to spend. What are you going to be stocking with? What kind of plants do you have/want? What kind of filter, lights, and heater are you using?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I keep a spare filter and a spare heater to hand in case one goes kaputt when the shops are closed...also a plastic claw on a stick thing to stir my substrate/reach into the tank when I want to keep my hands dry...some spare rocks/fake plants if I want to re-do the decor...a breeder net in case I want to give somebody a time-out...two nets...magnetic algae cleaner...two dedicated buckets...couple of dedicated towels...spare electrical fittings/fixtures (plugs, fuses etc.)...aquarium line/hose...

...think that's about it...:D

The smaller tanks under the larger tanks are sumps...they increase the volume of water in the system and also act as filters. If you do a search on sumps you'll find lots of threads about them. You don't have to have one but they are great.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Gravel vac? Test kit?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
how about a thermometer?

may seem like you dont need one because of the heater, but thermometers can forwarn of a heater malfunction before it is to late. higher temps means lower oxygen in the water for the fish and bacteria, and sometimes elevated aggression. if you get a HOT thermometer (pun intended), it can also help with measuring the temperature of the new water when you change it.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Gravel vac? Test kit?
Well duh :duh:

how about a thermometer?

may seem like you dont need one because of the heater, but thermometers can forwarn of a heater malfunction before it is to late. higher temps means lower oxygen in the water for the fish and bacteria, and sometimes elevated aggression. if you get a HOT thermometer (pun intended), it can also help with measuring the temperature of the new water when you change it.
Don't need it, it gets cold up here, so we always have the heater on, and my tank happens to be in the warmest part of the house.

Btw, how do I set up a sump??

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Well duh :duh:

Don't need it, it gets cold up here, so we always have the heater on, and my tank happens to be in the warmest part of the house.

Btw, how do I set up a sump??
no you need a thermometer...how do you know your heater is working (I know I know it has a little light on it and a temperature setting how do you know it is not over/under heating).

In fact I like to have two thermometers in the tank as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store