Pink Kissing Gourami terror!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hello guys. I currently have a 40 gallon tank with some live plants, fake plants, hiding places etc. The current inhabitants are 2 Pink Kissing Gourami, 1 Spotted Climbing Perch (Leopard Gourami?), and 1 Rainbow Shark. There are also a few small snails and some ghost shrimp in the tank.

Anywho. The Spotted Climbing Perch is a new addition to the tank. Up until yesterday we had a Giant Danio in there that would chase all of the other fish around so we took him back to Pets Mart and picked up the Spotted Climbing Perch (which they have mislabeled as an African Leaf Fish).

The Danio would keep the big gourami busy by chasing him around, but it annoyed the hell out of me and I figured it definitely wasn't good for the fish. Now that the Danio is gone, the bigger Pink Kissing Gourami is terrorizing the slightly smaller Pink Kisser. It'll chase it around the tank until the smaller one finds refuge in the corner of the tank in some fake plants. The poor guy spent all last night in the plants and everytime he'd come out, the bigger one would chase him around again until he settled back into the plants.

Is there anyway to stop this from happening? I moved around the decorations to try and make them have to get new territories setup, but it didn't work. The Gourami only chases the smaller Gourami and pays the other fish no mind.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Ours do that to a smaller extent, you may have 2 males that cant get along, ours lock there lips and struggle, but thats about it, if it looks vicious to you, maybe taking one back would be an option....:idea:

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
i have 2 in my 55 the bigger one chases the small one sometimes but then ussally they hang out together
but i have heard they don't get along and you climbing perch might not either they are related
and don't put any tiger barbs in there

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
What would be a good fish to substitute for the smaller Pink Kisser if we have to take him out of the tank?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
kissing gourami males (and pretty much every type of gourami) have the habbit of being aggressive with towards other males. plus, unlike other gouramis species, it is impossible to tell males from females by just looking at them. plus, they get to over a foot long, usually more because they have the potential to live for a very long time. your tank is also much to small for them. 75 gallons is needed for a single one, and if you want to keep two, a 125 gallon tank that is heavily planted is required.

when fish are overcrowded, they become more aggressive towards one another. if they fish are already aggressive (i.e cichlids, male gouramis and male gouramis) that aggression is amplified.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
not a laberinth fish look them up gouramies bettas
nothing agressive no angles no tiger barbs or black red tail shark

a nice school of killifish very colorful some nice tetras just not the painted ones (called berry tetras) maybe 8 assorted corys 10 pristella tetras

why don't you see what your store has write don't what you like then come back and ask us or call them up see what they have

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Jon, the aquarium will be upgraded to something bigger in the future. Right now we're living in an apartment and didn't want to get anything over 40-55g. In a year or two when we move into a house, I'll be getting something much much bigger :)

Right now the fish are relatively small. Probably the biggest is 2" max.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
not a laberinth fish look them up gouramies bettas
nothing agressive no angles no tiger barbs or black red tail shark

a nice school of killifish very colorful some nice tetras just not the painted ones (called berry tetras) maybe 8 assorted corys 10 pristella tetras

why don't you see what your store has write don't what you like then come back and ask us or call them up see what they have
With the rainbow shark, I was advised that it should be the only shark in the tank, so all sharks are out of the question I believe.

As for the tetras, wouldn't the Spotted Climbing Perch just end up making them a meal in the future? I thought that the Pink Kissing Gourami would also end up terrorizing those as well due to their size?

We have a PetsMart, PetsCo, and a local store called Clark's that has a wiiide variety of fish. So pretty much most of the common fish we'll be able to get and even some of the not so common fish we might be able to find at Clarks. I don't remember offhand what they have, but both stores are decently sized with quite a few fish.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Usually Petsmarts and Petcos arnt the best, IMO.

Don't know about clarks, but anyways:

Each kissing gourami will get over a foot. When they "kiss", they are actually hurting the fish quite a lot, putting an angel in there would be like putting in a thin glass punching bag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store