lost 8 fish in the past 3 weeks, help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
alright guys. in the past month, i've lost - 3 GBRs, 1 gardneri killie(male), and 3 panda corys.

it started off with the killie. had cotton eye. I did daily water changes, and the eye cleared up. he still seemed a little lethargic. then 2 days later i came home from work and he was dead.

next, i went away for the weekend and came home, turned on my light, and 1 GBR was dead.

a week later, another GBR. i noticed this one was hangin out at the bottom back corner of the tank. and was goign to check it out when i got home, but i guess i didnt get home fast enough.

Then a few days ago, 1 cory was done.

Then a rummynose tetra, but i just added 2 more the day before so it could have been a coincidence.

Then a little less than a week ago, another GBR had one white spot on its caudal fin, but i am doubting this was ich, but ended up dying the next day.

And now i just got home from a movie, and 2 more panda corys are dead.

all were eating well, and the only common sympton was they were a litle lethargic and sat at the bottom shorty before dying.

Someone please help

And i know someone will ask, so here's the tank setup:
pH- 6.6
Temp-80F
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
10 Nitrate

Whats left in the tank- 6 Rummynoses, 2 Killies, 4 panda cories, 1 hillstream loach.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Are you adding anything to move your pH to 6.6?

I'd drop temp down to 78.

What are you using to treat water for water changes?

Do you make up the water separately or just drain and fill the tank and add water treatment when you do water changes?

How old are your tests? What type are they?

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Any spikes > in temperature lately? What did the white spot look like?

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Are you adding anything to move your pH to 6.6?

I'd drop temp down to 78.

What are you using to treat water for water changes?

Do you make up the water separately or just drain and fill the tank and add water treatment when you do water changes?

How old are your tests? What type are they?
1 - When i first set up the tank, about 4 months ago, pH dopped below 6, unmeasurable by my test kit, but i put some crush coral in a bag and put it in the media basket in my filter, and it's been a steady 6.6 since.

2- I could turn down the temp a little, but i was under the impression GBRs love it in the 80s.

3 & 4- Water changes atleast weekly, most times twice a week, 25% at a time. I gravel vac with every change. Treated with Amquel. I usually let the water sit out for a day before adding and make sure the temp is within 2 degrees of the normal tank temp.

I use API master test. About 4 months old, bought it when i bought the tank.

Last edited:

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Do any of the other fish have any white spots? Did it look like cotton?

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Any spikes > in temperature lately? What did the white spot look like?

No spikes since the cycle was over. I've been careful to not add more than 4 fish at a time.

I had the temp at 84F about 2 months ago, before i cought the hillstream loach and pandas. Then i read that they liek it a little bit cooler, so i slowly lowered it, between about 3-4 days, to 80F. So nothing too drastic.

It was one single white spot in the middle of the tail. He didnt scratch against anything. just kind of sat at the bottom and came up and ate whenever he was fed and then went bac kto the bottom.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Do any of the other fish have any white spots? Did it look like cotton?

none of the other fish have spots at all. It looked liek a grain of salt which made me think ich, but i've seen ich before and i dont think it was that.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Are you placing new fish in a QT tank before adding them to the main tank? It sounds like parasites to me. Are they eating normal and acting normal? Is their poop black or colored, not white and stringy?

i am actually not QTing them lately, because my GBR's recently had fry and i put them in my 10 gallon tank.

Their poop as far as i know has been brownish/blackish, but i have noticed a couple times it has been a little stringy. Never white though.

They are eating normal, but seem to be real lethargic. And only show signs about a day or two before they die.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store