Damselfish maturity

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I have a yellowtail damsel that has been an active fish and a strong eater for some months now. In the last month or so, his coloration has gotten extremely bright, with the blue becoming a little darker and more brilliant, and the yellow brightening up considerably. Yesterday, I noticed that the yellow coloration is beginning to move forward on the fish from the tail. Most of the coloration change is occuring on the lower half of the fish, as well.

I have seen pictures of "Stark's Damselfish" which look like yellowtails but have a yellow lower half and a yellow tail. Is the Stark's damselfish just a mature yellowtail? Is my fish's coloration change just natural maturity?

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
Stark's damsel (Chrysiptera starcki )
is a blue with yellow on it dorsal surface from mouth to tail.

There are 2 species of yellow tail damsel - on from the red sea (Pomacentrus trichourus) and one from the carribean (Microspathodon chrysurus).

if you have an idea about where you damsel originated that may help. Another species of damsel you may want to look at is the cocoa damsel (Stegastes variabilis). I have a nice mated pair - and they seem to fit the coloration description of how your damsel is changing. I don't recall what the immature looks like though.

Check out www.fishbase.org for more info on each of these.

Hope this helps.

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Actually there are quite a few that at times are called Yellowtail damselfish, Yellowtail Blue Damsels or Yellowtail Demoiselle. Many LFS call them all yellowtail damsels or yellowtail blue damsels.

Some are:
Chrysiptera cyanea
Chrysiptera parasema
Microspathodon chryurus
Neopomacentrus azysron
About 5 of the Pomacentrus

That is why comon names can be a real pain; this group is one of the best examples of this.

Ray

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store