Help!!! GE Silicone II

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RONCGIZMO

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Has anyone here used it without issues?

I put together a 10 gallon fuge and used it for the chambers I didn't think nothing of it but the more I read the more I'm not sure about it. I called GE and they told me it can leach Ammona "when it is curing" but they did not seem to have an answer for after it's cured. I did run a few test's. I tested my water for ammona and it was at 0 then I put some silicone in a cup that i cleaned off the tank side I let it sit for about an hour with some tank water and it's still at 0. just so you know I did not set it up yet.

Do you have a tank running on it now?

if you do, do you have inverts?

how long has it been up and running with the Silicone II and has your water been okay?

I really don't want to take it apart and redo it if I don't have to and I know someone out there had to do the same thing i did.

Thanks,

Ron

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I have read (never used it myself) that after 7 days it is cured and will no longer produce ammonia. Hope that helps.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm certain the consensus will be use 100% silicone designed for aquarium use not Silicone II even though it says it is 100% silicone. Products that say they prevent mold and mildew after curing generally contain arsenic to do so.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If it says it prevents mold/mildew after curing, there has to be something in it to prevent it.

Also, on GE's site I found under the FAQ section that they will not guarantee any of their sealant products for use under water.

Why take a chance? Is it that you're trying to save a few dollars?

THEJRC

Third String Messiah?
I use the Silicone I all the time with no ill effects, the II version I've tended to stay away from just due to the whole mildew resistant thing which tells me there is some additive. If you can find the good ole I version go with that. Definately let it cure for at least three days (a week is better)

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Silicone I or GE 1200 series silicone....leave the silicone II alone.

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
As I recall, all the GE Silicone II products contain BIOseal. Look for the bioseal label on the product, it should be obvious. If the BIO-seal is there it means that it contains anti-fungal agents. I would use the GE Silicone I for doors and windows or aquarium silicone.

RONCGIZMO

AC Members
May 16, 2007
If it says it prevents mold/mildew after curing, there has to be something in it to prevent it.

Also, on GE's site I found under the FAQ section that they will not guarantee any of their sealant products for use under water.

Why take a chance? Is it that you're trying to save a few dollars?

You have a good point, It was not the money but the time taking it all apart and doing it all over again...Just being lazy now I'm off to Home Depot...Guess why.:wall:

I'll get the Silicone I and i'm bringing my loop with me so I can read the fine print...lol (btw, I had the Silicone I in my hand last night and saw the silicone II, thought to myself humm II must be better then one and it cost more too, and now here you have it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store