A few questions for my new 90 gal. FOWLR (for now) tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

richm20

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Long Island, NY
Ok my tank is up and running and cycled. I was able to use some sand, live rock, and some bio balls (that I let float around for a few months) from my small tank (20 gal.) and some Mollies to cycle the tank.

As of now, I have one butterfly fish, 2 damsels, a feather duster and a Chocolate chip star.
At some point I want to add coral, so the first question is what type of lighting do I need for some "soft" coral? I currently have a 2 lamp f-40 fixture, and would like to only change the lamps if that is possible.

Next question is, if I want to start adding coral in a few months, what fish can I add and what, if any, do I have to remove?

Also, is baking soda acceptable for raising the PH of my tap water (after running through my RO system?

Thanks, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

BIGgourami

One With the Fish
Apr 30, 2007
rolling meadows,IL
what kind of butterfly?
if you want coral get rid of the CC star
softies i think need 2-4 wpg depending on type
you can add any goby, blenny, or clown and some types of wrasse, butterflies, puffers, filefish, etc
BS is ok for buffering but it'sreally to mess up, i would strongly recomend getting a commercial buffer.
what are your filtraion plans?

richm20

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm going to use my canister filter (fluval 404) to power a 55gal. sump. plus my protein skimmer, power head and deep sand bed.
Now I have everything except the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store