Goldfish Depression?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BryceMan

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
Yorkton, Saskatchewan
Hey All,

This hasn't happened yet but I have two goldfish that have been together since we brought them home from the store 6 years ago. Since the chances of them dying at the same time are slim, would one get depressed once the other is gone?

They follow each other around constantly and seem to be best friends.

Any thoughts?

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Hmmmmmmm........fish can have feelings just like humans. I've heard of some fish immediately dying after their partners have. So there's quite a chance one of them could become depressed.

BTW, what size tank are they in?

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
well, you could add a younger fish, so if one passes the other will have someone they are close to still.

stephalpha

Stephalpha
Apr 26, 2007
Michigan
I had two black moors. They were the best of friends too. After one passed the other was depressed for alittle while, but then went on to live for many happy years after that. I never added a new tank mate for her.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Fish do get depressed. My black moor will lay at the bottom of the tank and sulk when the other fish did let him school with them. They have been more tolerant so he hasn't been sulking. He will take advantage of their kindness and sexually harass them. You can feel my one calico's hate for him. I got him another tank so the calico's don't have to put up with him anymore. I'm also pearlscale proofing this one. So my fat fish wont be getting stuck all the time.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
Goldfish are community fish and I believe they do better with a mate.
My fancytail really perked-up when I introduced a (sexy... ha ha) friend.
May not be true in every case though.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store