My bolivian rams spawned last night.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BGBC

AC Members
May 16, 2003
www.bluegoddessbodycare.cc
Got some pics 5-28 - My bolivian rams spawned last night.....

and I got to watch :) Man, I've only had them since Friday, so my bro figures they were probably a pair at the store..........how cool is this!? There's tons of eggs and they've claimed one of the clay pots. The female has gotten pretty aggressive even to keeping my angels and coreys away. I wasn't sure if I'd have any eggs left this morning. There's a few that have turned white, but not many - I was afraid my coreys would get them :( I know the angels can pick off the fry like nothin'. My brother's convicts spawned and my angels got a few when he was thinning them out. He did try and move them but the suction from siphoning wasn't strong enough. He moved the parents out at one point and the female completely mauled the male and he had to be put down!

I'd like to move the whole group to the 20gal, but not sure how to get the babies, other than scooping them out....

Last edited:

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
That's great! I tried to get mine to breed but two came down with intestinal parasites and died, so now I'm down to one. The most I could recommend is to try siphoning again (most siphons shouldn't have a problem sucking up fry) or to do just what you hoped not to do...getting a brine shrimp net and start swinging. Kudos anyways!

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
BGBC,

Congratulations!!! it's a great thing watching your fish spawning. :)

To transfer fry you could try

a. Turkey Baster - the clear plastic type will allow you to see whether you have caught any fry.

b. plastic/stainless steel gravy ladle, stainless one confuses the fry and they swim into it (at least goldfish fry will)

c. large bowl/jug if the fry are in a close shoal this may be quicker and simpler. You may even get the parents at the same time.

Though it may be simpler to transfer the angels and cories to another tank and leave the rams in peace!:)

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
CONGRATULATIONS on the spawning and more congrats on watching i have watched my blue acaras lay eggs once quite a site to see!

i would jsut take out the algels and cories if you have the room bkuz it will be easier on the rams so that they wont have to be chasing other fish all day and tend to the fry more. and bkuz its less fish to actually take out of the tank.

BGBC

AC Members
May 16, 2003
www.bluegoddessbodycare.cc
Some pics

Well, I do still have eggs and only a few have turned white :) I got a couple pics, they're not the greatest but not terrible LOL

and a couple of their tank-mates - I just got these two on Friday too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store