Any info on Rubberlip Plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I don't know the species, I just know that they are cream-colored, but I found them at the lfs and I want one! How big do they get and can they fit in a 30 gallon tank (in my sig?)

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada

wolf13

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
mine is very aggressive. anything with big fins is a target - he took off 70% of my black moor's tail when the goldfish had to put in that tank overnight. the rubberlip is about 3 inches long, living now with a 8-inch common and a couple of half grown 5" and 7" bichirs. he pushes them all around. i refer to it as the 'big fish" tank because i keep forgetting that he is small because of the way he acts.

Shane Reynolds

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
My rubberlip is a pale green color. He keeps to himself and is not as bashful as my son's clown pleco. He rarely gets on the glass, usually preferring to be close to a cave sitting on a large, smooth rock. He will eat large leafy plants, which gets annoying, but he has seniority, so I put up with him.

Luvbugz

The Suicidal Townie
Apr 18, 2007
Indiana
I have one. I almost never see it. He doesn't attach to the glass. He stays in the little rock cave I built for him. He keeps to himself and only comes out at night. Haven't had any problems with him or anything just wish he was more active during the day.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
mine would bully the corydoras, but only around the algea pelets that i used to throw in for him. he ruled his little cave and didnt let anybody through it, but only when there was food in it. when there was no food, everytone was allowed to come and go as they pleased (even though my angel wont fit through it anymore...). one day though, he just stopped bossing the corydoras around, and i knew something was off. and then he passed away two days later. there probably wasnt enough O2 in the water for him considering that he was wild caught in a pretty fast flowing river.

when your rubberlip isnt aggressive around food, there is something wrong. or when they dont run from you when you come up to the glass or turn the light on. rubberlips dont like either. mine was a pretty good algea eater. he always had bright yellow stripes after a water change.

im not really a pleco person, but he was pretty cool. i wouldnt put one in your tank though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store