Controllers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Hope this doesn't start a war on the forum...but what is the best controller to purchase. I am looking as the Reef Keeper 2 or the Neptune Auqa Controller Jr. Both have similar features and I would have not only the temp probe that comes with the unit, the DC8 and the pH probe.

As they are similar in price it would be good to get the opinion of those on the forum with experience with either of these...or perhaps you have an alternative (just don't mention the Octopus as it is significantly higher in price).

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
I've actually been debating the same thing for the past two weeks. I can't decide which one to get. If you go with the AquaController Jr I would buy it with the serial port option. You can't add it later and it is useful to download logs, change settings on the device, for use as an I/O port, and to upgrade the firmware. The ReefKeeper 2 has a serial port built in, which is used for software updates and the data log.

AquaController Jr Pros:
- serial port can also be used as an I/O port with a float switch, etc, i could see this useful to implement and auto top off system
- scripting language gives you the ability to shut off devices in response to other parameters such as temp or the io port
- sunrise and sunset stimulation for varied light times based on the seasons
- can control 12 devices however for the price of a DC8 and DC4 you might as well buy two controllers

AquaController Jr Cons:
- DC8 box used triacs only. The ReefKeeper 2 has 2 relay outlets and 6 traics (2 of them spaced for transformers). Some lights have issues with triacs and very small current devices aren't can't be turned off. The DC4 boxes use relays but cost more than the DC 8 box.
- control panel isn't designed as nice with indicator lights per channel
- I/O port can't be used at the same time as the serial port
- X10 has terrible reliability and I wouldn't use it, hardwired boxes get expensive

ReefKeeper 2 Pros:
- design of control panel with status lights per channel
- 2 relays and 6 triac switched outlets (2 of which are transformer spaced)
- manual override of channels
- standy/feed mode to turn of certain devices like the sump to prevent food from being sucked into it

ReekKeeper 2 Cons:
- no scripting language so your limited to hard coded functionality
- only 8 devices can be controlled no expandability

I don't have either one of these controllers so hopefully I am correct on the above info from the research I have done. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm leaning towards the AquaController Jr for the scripting language, io port for float switch, and sunrise sunset feature so I don't have to adjust the light times throughout the year. However I like the ReefKeeper 2's ability to manual override channels, for example if I want to turn the lights on to show the tank, and the feed mode as my sump likes to suck down the food. I wish I had the money for the AquaController 3 as it has all the functionality and expandability you could ask for.

Last edited:

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
RSW686 - appreciate the detailed response. I have come to the conclusion that if I am not going to purchase the AC3 then I would buy the Reefkeeper 2. I ordered it today with the ph probe (online special provides calibration solution for probe). I had to go with value for money, the $279 price tag for the RK2 was more reasonable than the more expensive ACJr. The special online is the RK2, DC8, serial port. Will post when I get it and have it installed. Might be a bit since they have had a glut of orders for the RK2. Thanks again. Almondsaz

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
RSW686 - appreciate the detailed response. I have come to the conclusion that if I am not going to purchase the AC3 then I would buy the Reefkeeper 2. I ordered it today with the ph probe (online special provides calibration solution for probe). I had to go with value for money, the $279 price tag for the RK2 was more reasonable than the more expensive ACJr. The special online is the RK2, DC8, serial port. Will post when I get it and have it installed. Might be a bit since they have had a glut of orders for the RK2. Thanks again. Almondsaz
I'm slightly confused. The ReefKeeper 2 is $270 plus the $47 ph probe totaling $317. The AquaController Jr is $245 plus the $40 ph probe totaling $285. For those prices they both have serial ports and both have 8 outlets. When you say the special is DC8, serial port that goes with the AquaController. The ReefKeeper 2 is non expandable and has the serial port built in.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Boy I messed that one up. I was comparing to a price from the LFS that sold the DC8 and the Jr separately $168 and $179 which made it 347 before the probe. I am going to have to make a change I think. Sometimes you just get in a hurry and pay a price for it. THanks for pointing the error out. I didn't think to look at Neptune Systems site.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007

merlin4260

AC Members
Apr 19, 2003
Purdue University
ReefKeeper 2 Pros:
- design of control panel with status lights per channel
- 2 relays and 6 triac switched outlets (2 of which are transformer spaced)
- manual override of channels
- standy/feed mode to turn of certain devices like the sump to prevent food from being sucked into it
AC Jr also has a feed mode...

From Neptune's site...

"WaveMaker
Each pump to be controlled can either have a random or fixed time period. Both the on and off times are fully programmable and can range from 1 minute to 4 hours in 1 minute increments. Up to 12 pumps can be controlled by one base unit. A variable length feed timer cycle can be initiated with the press of a button and will disable some or all of the pumps in the system (programmed by the user). Soft start for pumps is available when the Jr is used with the Direct Connect 8. Soft start reduces wear and tear on pumps and results in noticeably quieter start up for most powerheads."

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
AC Jr also has a feed mode...

From Neptune's site...

"WaveMaker
Each pump to be controlled can either have a random or fixed time period. Both the on and off times are fully programmable and can range from 1 minute to 4 hours in 1 minute increments. Up to 12 pumps can be controlled by one base unit. A variable length feed timer cycle can be initiated with the press of a button and will disable some or all of the pumps in the system (programmed by the user). Soft start for pumps is available when the Jr is used with the Direct Connect 8. Soft start reduces wear and tear on pumps and results in noticeably quieter start up for most powerheads."
Thanks I must have missed that. I just went and downloaded the user manuals for both the AC Jr and ReefKeeper 2 and I'm going to buy the AC Jr. It has more customization with the scripting. Although if the scripting confuses you the ReefKeeper 2 has a real simple interface with no programming required.

Also you can manual override on the AC Jr as well, you just have to navigate through the menu to do so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store