How to do hypersalinity

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
How do you properly do hyposalinity? What do you drop the SG to? I have a regal tang the developed ICH I am going to try doing the tank meathod that Sub. suggested. But when it comes to Hyposalinity im kind of clueless as I dont know how to properly do it, I really dont want to kill my expensive fish anyhelp would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
It's HYPOsalinity and 1.008 is what you need for it to be effective, just make sure the change is slow.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
It's HYPOsalinity and 1.008 is what you need for it to be effective, just make sure the change is slow.
well there ya go I dont even know how to spell it. so how long can he/she stay in there for? also is this a good idea where im doing the tank meathod as well and the tang will need to stay in the tank for at least 48HRS

so just so I know im on the right track set up tank at .08 w/ temp at 80 and a filter and heater no LR or sand drip tang and then add to tank?

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Hyposalinity is done be lowering the salinity to 1.009 to take care of ich. You can't do this in the main tank if you have invertebrates or corals because they cannot handle salinity this low. Basically you are going to do water changes on your tank replacing the water you take out with fresh water. You'll lower the salinity over a period of a few days. I would recommend you have a refractometer to measure this accurately. You leave your tank at this level over a period of 4-6 weeks. Six weeks being better. The salinity needs to be monitored every day to ensure that it doesn't go above the 1.009. See this doc for info. I followed this to the T. It worked for my regal too. http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I always go to 1.008 but it may very well work at 1.009

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
After hes in there @ .09 do I need to do PWC? or do I just leave him there for 6 weeks?

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
You will still have to do PWC sometime over that period. Just do your testing and tank maint. like normal. When you do the water change replace the water that you remove with water mixed to a salinity of 1.009. Make sure that you leave your fish in the tank at full salinity and then bring the salinity down while he is in the tank. Don't drip acclimate it is a whole tank thing.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Sorry to hear about your Tang- been there.

Yep, everyone seems pretty right on. You can keep your tank in hypo for about 4 weeks and gradually increase it back to your MT's spg the last 2 weeks. Might want to run a UV in that tank too.

On a side note my buddy's Regal gets minor bouts of ich every couple of months or so, in his main tank. He lets it go and it "disappears" within a couple of days.

Good luck!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Sorry to hear about your Tang- been there.

Yep, everyone seems pretty right on. You can keep your tank in hypo for about 4 weeks and gradually increase it back to your MT's spg the last 2 weeks. Might want to run a UV in that tank too.

On a side note my buddy's Regal gets minor bouts of ich every couple of months or so, in his main tank. He lets it go and it "disappears" within a couple of days.

Good luck!
well considering that my tang had white spots in the main tank and now that hes in QT he has NO spots and his coloring is back to normal appitite is normal as well. He does not swim any since its just him in a 25G tank and nothing else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store