To co2 or not to co2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I am blessed with soft water. It comes out of the tap with a PH of 6.4-6.6, KH of >1 and GH of 75ppm (off the top of my head). With the use of small amounts of crushed coral in my filters, my tanks stabalize at around PH 6.8 and KH 3.

PH 6.8 and KH 3 works out to about 15ppm of co2, which from what info I've found is the optimal co2 level. Am I right in assuming for a moderately planted tank with moderate lighting (2 watts per gallon) that I shouldn't need to add any co2 to have a successful planted tank?

I'm going to setup a small planted tank as a test to see how well I do without co2, but wanted some opinions before I went forward with it. I'll be using Onyx Sand and no crushed coral at the start to see how well the Onyx Sand buffers the tank for me.

I realize that added co2 will likely give me faster, more lush growth in my plants, but I will eventually be setting up a 150 gallon planted tank and I can't really afford to add co2 to that and would like to keep things as simple as possible anyway. I'd rather have slow-moderate growth and not have to spend as much time trimming and pruning.

Anyone else with similar water parameters have good or bad experiences with no added co2? Wetman? I know I read on your website that you don't add co2 :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Actually, you'll always have a limiting factor for plant growth. In many tanks, CO2 is the limiting factor. Once it's bumped up, then light or ferts limits the plants. So, you begin a game of adding better lights, then fertilizing, then bumping the CO2...you get the picture.

So, rather than just saying yes or no--I would decide how much maintenance you want to do, what kind of lights you'll have, etc. Keep in mind that the success of the smaller planted tank won't mirror to the larger tank. The increased depth, different stocking, ect will change the success of the plants.

off-ice

AC Members
Apr 12, 2002
plantgeek.net
Originally posted by ArkyLady
PH 6.8 and KH 3 works out to about 15ppm of co2, which from what info I've found is the optimal co2 level. Am I right in assuming for a moderately planted tank with moderate lighting (2 watts per gallon) that I shouldn't need to add any co2 to have a successful planted tank?
This does not address your original question, but if you are not injecting Co2 (they way I am reading it) then I would bet one of your tests is off. You should not have 15ppm on aged water without injection. If you tested right after a water change or from the tap, it is possible, but it will not stay that way.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Just tested my 55 gal since I haven't done a water change on it in over a week (have a python ordered, so got lazy and skipped this past Sunday's change).

PH 6.8
KH 40 ppm
GH 75 ppm

I do have an air wand going in this tank, I know from what I've read that will affect co2 levels, but what actual water parameter does it alter?

I can turn the air wand off after the next change and retest in a week if that will give me a better test sample?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The loss of co2 is caused by the surface aggitation the bubble wand causes. The balance between O2 and CO2 in water will be the same as in the air when you aggitate the surface and thus allow for the free exchange of gas between the water and the air.

Co2 is added to a tank in order to facilitate lush growth and/or to be able to grow plants that wont thrive in a tank without it. I run tanks from 1 wpg to just over 3wpg but only add co2 to the 3wpg tank. I have a couple of tanks at 2wpg that get great growth without co2.

What I can tell you is if you run co2 on a smaller planted tank, make sure you have a good sharp scissors ;)

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Generally not.

Your KH should stay pretty stable, testing pH with a reasonably accurate narrow range kit will give a good indication.

But if you plan a non CO2 tank in the first place, soft/hard etc matters not for the plants. They do well in either after a month or two.

They will use up all the CO2 in your soft water the same as they will in hard water. Hard water will have more total Carbon =more KH, HCO3 which some plants can use, albiet at a slower rate than CO2, soft water will have less carbon as KH. I'll be specific here that I am talking about alkalinity(KH generally=> HCO3-) here, not general hardness(GH=> Ca++ and Mg++).

The CO2 present in soft or hard water in a glass let setting on a table will be the same. The hard water will have a pH of say about 8 and a KH of 20 and the soft water will have a pH of 6.4 and a KH of 0.5. Both waters have the same CO2 level, 5.9ppm in the case I used here.

It's the _plants_ that will remove the CO2(the acid) for their growth. This is not equilibrium now. The plants will change this. Your pH will move when you add the plants since they will remove the CO2.

The the pH will go up when the plants do this in either tank. The starting point of soft or hard really doesn't matter. Both tanks will be depleted equally of the CO2 once the plants start photosynthesizing. One will be left with more carbon as KH, (HCO3-), the other will not.

You need some KH to buffer the acid when you add CO2 gas to keep the pH level stable and easy to test for. 3KH is good.

This CO2 is what plants like and will be quickly used up when you add much light ....around 1.5 to 2.0w/gal. Soft or hard water. The same plants in softwater or hard water added to the water at equilbrium will use about the amount of CO2. If you add CO2 you still need to add the same amount in either tank. The plants need the same amount of CO2 and both soft or hard water tanks will get depleted at higher light and the plants will

Anyway, the plants will soften the water pretty good after a while of simply topping off the tank for evaporation if you use the non CO2 approach.
You are not adding CO2 in the non CO2 approach so don't bother with testing for it. If you do add it and want better plant growth, then you will test for it.
Many are very content with non CO2 tanks if they follow some general guidelines.

If you use the CO2 approach then the water change methods come into play.

I see you cannot "afford" CO2 but can afford a 150 gallon planted tank. Okay:) This is NOT a question of you being able to afford it or not.

You can do it this way but if you want better plant growth etc, want to do lots of water changes etc, you will run into some trouble likely without going to CO2.

Faster growth is not the goal with CO2 generally, better healthier growth, less algae is. If you keep the 2w/gal lighting level, then adding CO2 will have a profound effect on the plants without causing weekly trimmings etc. Folkks can also use slow growing plants etc to reduce any "work".Some folks like the "work".

But I'll work with folks either way they decide on, there's a great deal of CO2 myths and a fair amount of pro CO2 bias on most boards.

A nice trade off is using CO2 with less light, 1.5 to 2.0w/gal is ideal to use with CO2. This reduces dosing, algae, growth but still very healthy, provides some wiggle room if you neglect something, cost less, and you still get most any tank design or layout and plant choice you want.

Weekly water changes and once a week dosing usually takes care of most issues.
Try CO2 on the small tank and see if you like it.
Stick with using the CaCO3 to keep the GH/Kh up.
Onyx will last for awhile but will mellow with age IME.

You can see some very nice examples of nice plants growing in hardwater systems both in Florida, SEA and in Brazil. Softer waters often have fewer plants IME and plants very close to the surface.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Tom, thank you very much for all the info! I may eventually add co2, but it will be several months down the road. I bought the tank and stand used, but it has no lights, so by the time I purchase lights, filter system, substrate, etc I'm already pushing my luck.

I had also assumed I would likely need a more expensive pressurized co2 setup for this size tank. Perhaps I'm mistaken in that thinking and a less expensive DIY setup would work at least to start out with? I overbudgeted $100 when quoting the total setup costs to hubby to give me some wiggle room, but that's not enough to squeeze in any pressurized co2 setup that I've ever seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store