Semi-Aggressive Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
I've heard plenty of people say it can't be done, but here goes anyways. I have a 37g with a Valentini Toby, Cherub Angel, and 2 Ocellaris Clowns. From what everyone seems to say, the Puffer and Angel aren't reef safe.

My buddy recently aquired a 30g reef that is overflowing with various corals. He has lots of frags and gave me a few yesterday to try out. I added 2 Red Mushrooms, a small frag of Monitpora Capricornis, and a small frag of Colt Coral (as far as I can ID it). I suspect that if anything is subject to be nipped at it will be the Montipora, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will be OK.

Here is a picture of the tank before I added the corals. I will try to get some pics of the new additions today and post them as well. If all goes well, then I will add more soft corals every few weeks.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
"Reef safe" and "coral safe" are two different things, the first meaning the fish is compatable with the whole reef enviroment: snails, crabs, shrimps and corals, and the later being self explanatory.

A LOT of people keep dwarf angels, and sometimes even large angels in reef tanks... the thing is usually drawfs are reef safe, just not always.

Can't comment on the puffer.

I will tell you that this most likely can be done...

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
I always will want to add a dwarf angel into my system, particularly the cherub. However I don't find the risk worth it and he nips at my corals and hundreds of dollars are going down the drain.

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
I would be more concerned about nipping at corals if I had to pay for them. My friend has tons of frags, so I'm testing the waters with these. I got some pictures this morning and everything is open and looks good. My camera died, so I'll have to post the pics later.

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Alright, got some new batteries and lots of pics. The corals are looking good, and I am loving my new Cherub Angel. It's got a ton of personality, just like my other fish! I got a water pump for my auto topoff unit today, so everything will soon be as automated and stable as possible. I am going to add some Green Star Polyps in a few weeks, and probably some colony rock a few weeks after that. Here's some pics, what's everybody think so far?

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
more pics. I included some photos of the equipment and some mods I have done. I drilled and ran a line from the collection cup of my skimmer to a pitcher in the stand. I have had problems with the cup overflowing before, and it isn't pretty. I am still saving to get a pump for my auto topoff. The
5g tank in the stand will be my topoff reservoir.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very, Very Nice Setup.. Like it a lot!

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
It's been a while since I have updated this, but not much has changed. The finger coral (I think it was Kenya Tree) was being attacked by the Angel, so I swapped it out for some Hairy Mushrooms. The fish don't seem to bother the mushrooms or montipora. I hope to add some green star polyps in a few weeks, and would like to eventually get some colony rock.

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
A few changes:

I swapped out the white daylight bulb for a Smartpaq 50/50 bulb, which I am running along with the pure Actinic. The 50/50 bulb gives the tank a much smoother blue, and I think that it promotes the bright green coraline that I kind of like. The corals seem to like the light pretty well.

I took the protein skimmer off and am just running 2 PHs and a HOB power filter for surface agitation and circulation. The skimmer was just too unpredictable to get good results. It either skimmed too little or too much. I have gotten much more consistent with my PWCs, and water quality is as good as ever.

The largest red mushroom has spawned several more little shrooms, but they have been stuck under its cap. It is finally moving over a bit and now the "baby" shrooms can get some direct light. I can't wait to get a nice shroom carpet on my rocks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store