46 Gal corner FOWLR, lighting if adding corals.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
46 Gal Corner FOWLR. Hood has space for (2) 10 gal tank light bars. I modded one to put out 60W of 6500K Daylight fluorescents. Other is using 13-18W fluor tube. Should I get a 180deg 50/50 actinic bulb if I want to add some starter corals, or a 100% actinic tube (180deg). Maybe an anemone to start instead of the corals. I know the suggestion will be get a $$$ light setup, which may come if the $$$ does, but for now.....

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
So your saying you could have 2x60 6500ks and 2 13-18w actininc blue or 50/50 actinic blue? I would go with the 100% actininc if you want the colors to come out more. If you want more light, go with 50/50s. Hopefully I understood what you were asking.

I think a coral would be better to add than the anemone. Im not really clear on anemones, but I think most need established tanks and better lighting.

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
So your saying you could have 2x60 6500ks and 2 13-18w actininc blue or 50/50 actinic blue? I would go with the 100% actininc if you want the colors to come out more. If you want more light, go with 50/50s. Hopefully I understood what you were asking.

I think a coral would be better to add than the anemone. Im not really clear on anemones, but I think most need established tanks and better lighting.
So, negative on the anemone.

The hood has 1 bar which has 1 60W 6500K daylight, and the hood has another bar which can accept standard 18" tube fluorescents (15-18W, not sure if higher wattages are available or will work). Just wanting to know if I should use a 50/50 or 100% actinic in that second fixture for some corals.

Also, is there a picture ID guide/list with aquarium "difficulty" for corals? I think that might be an informative page, and it would be nice to have a picture, along with the name/type of coral, since I'm not totally familiar with all the types on sight.
I've read conflicting info about some(i.e. some say xenia is difficult, others say easy).

THEJRC

Third String Messiah?
I'd up the 6500K daylight to a 10k or higher if you can and do an actinic in the lower wattage assembly until $$ permits a better light. I just picked up a 48" aqualight with the lunars and I must say it's amazingly slick (vs. the DIY rig I was working on anyhow).

most of the stock perfecto strip lights are around 17 watts or so, the 48" models that came with my 72 are 40 watt units, you could pick up a cheapo 48" and swap guts, that would put you at about 100 watts for the tank (60 daylight and 40 actinic). still not super perfect but you could have good results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store