carpet anenome help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drseuse

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
How do I tell if my carpet has died?? Today it pulled up it's footing and floated to the top of the tank...earlier it was reactive to touch, taking food, and sticky, then spit out the food and floated?? It died didn't it??

drseuse

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
Not reacting to touch now....

Haven't tested water yet....last check everything fine...not sure about calcium though....lighting power compact 10k/actinic.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
How's it's colour looking? Personally, I wouldn't be too hopefull, as these aren't the kind of creatures that will be pulling up there feet and going for a swim... I don't think there normally bouyant either...

drseuse

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
current water results ph 8.4 nitrite 0 nitrate 10-12 ammonia .35
nitrates and ammonia are elevated from last reading
removed dead lawnmower blenny 1 day ago, probably old, experienced gradual wasting of body weight over 1 month period
power compact 10k/actinic 4x96watt
anenome color still pinkish/purple, oral disc lost green ring - looks enlarged

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
How long has your tank been set up? What is your specific gravity reading?

Your ammonia needs to be zero so an immediate water change is definately needed.

I know you didn't ask, but with regard to your blennie did you ever feed it extra algae or did just get what was on the rocks?

drseuse

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
Tank has been set up for 6 months, inherited blennie, tang, 2 clowns, red sea bass, large damsel, flame scallop, brittle star, queen conchs from friend who moved 4 months ago along with 75-100 lbs of rock with copious amounts of algae. And yes i know now too early for anenome, listened to salesperson.

sg = 1.022

just checked in on her and she is now sticky and slightly reactive to touch, actinic has been on for about 30-45 minutes.

drseuse

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
Update....this morning i awoke to find she had planted herself back on the floor of the tank and has her foot firmly in the substrate!! Color is good, green ring around mouth and oral disc look normal again, very reactive on it's own!!

Yesterday I thought she was gone. she had ben non reactive, mouth looked like it had turned inside out, just swirling limp in the current, and seemingly limper throughout the day, almost jelly like. just before i was about to pull her out she then seemed to have her foot on the glass and had stopped swirling, so i decided to wait til morning. I am glad i did....still don't know what happened???

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I only asked about the blenny as I used to feed mine algae sheets on a clip and ran out so I just let him graze on the rock. After a while he went really skinny so I got some more sheets and now he has a full belly again.

You still need to get ammonia down to zero and I'd also recommend raising your SG to 1.035 to help keep your anemone happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store