One black male 2 pink females

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

n0zqh

AC Members
May 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
I have a black male convict and 2 pink females. He mates with both.
Should I not be getting pink fry, or is he eating pink fry?
They are now on their 3rd set of young and I have never seen a pink baby.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
You won't get any pinks unless the male has the pink gene. All of your fry should be blacks carrying the pink gene if my genetics memory serves me right. So crossing two of the fry should give you some pinks. I don't remember how the pink gene works with convicts though since it's albino and not a color strain like with angels.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
okay, the male has either Bb (b being albino, and B being black) or BB. the females both are bb. the b (albino) gene is recessive. Your babies, since you haven't gotten any albinos, are most likely all Bb, which means that they look black but carry the albino gene. Once the fry are older, if you breed them with albino mates, half of those fry will be albino and half will be black with a recessive albino gene. google "punnet square"

punnet squares are awesome... we did those in biology class. =) so Wataugachicken is right, they would have half/half albino and black.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If you breed the Bb's together, you should get 25% BB, 50% Bb, and 25% bb right? I haven't done the charts in many years. I know it's 25/50/25 just don't remember which would be the 50% and which would be the other 25%.

So, if you breed your babies together, you'll get 25% Blacks, 50% Blacks with pink gene, and 25% pinks

Ooh, I got it right on the first try, go me!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store