Sexing Green Terror

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
At what size can you tell the sex of a GT? My juvenile is about 3 inches long

gt3.jpg

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
Just a tad bit early but so far its looking like a female. males tend to have iridescent greenish blue highlights to them. And generally longer fin extension's. If it starts growing a nice hump on its forehead you can be sure its a male, but so far I'd say female from looking at that pic.

Last edited:

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
not the best picture and it doesnt show off her colors that well, but thank you for your information, this is the first time I have ever kept a cichlid.

edit, the colors on the face and fins are a irredecent blue, they just dont translate that well on the photo.

Last edited:

DarthV

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
Fredericton, NB
Visit site
Here's my young GT, I had thought it was a female, but now I'm noticing a slight hump and the dorsal and anal fins seem to be getting longer and less rounded.

And as you can see that the fins and facial colors are definitely irredescent!

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
mine has the exact same coloration to the tips on the dorsal being gold to the tail as well, His colors arent that noticeable because of my lack of a digital camera. I had to use my camcorder and then capture from a snappy. I also took the pic during the day which prolly wasnt good for the colors either

You can see his colors a little better in this one

Last edited:

DarthV

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
Fredericton, NB
Visit site
I took about 60 pics of the fish last night and only 2 or 3 of them were worth keeping. I think I've taken about 400 pics in total so far and I have about 20 ones that I think were decent enough to put on the 'net. I'm amazed at how much color has started showing up on the fish in the last few days. I've started to switch around the diet... I've added some raw frozen shrimp and spirulina pellets to the mix and I think that's why the color has been showing so much. I've had the GT for about 2 weeks now (2 weeks as of this afternoon) and I've already noticed that it has grown about 1/2" and is a lot more active. I'm hoping it is a male just for colration, but a female would be nice since it will be smaller.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I have had mine about 2 weeks as well I feed him a mix of cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets, flake, and have given him ghost shrimp as feeders, he also seems to like the algae wafers I feed to my algae eaters, He did not like peas doesnt seem to pay attention to any food that floats like baby shrimp or krill. He seems as though he could take or leave blood worms, I use the tetradelica, the ones that come in packs. should I try the frozen ones? any other feeding suggestions or methods?

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I have not tried that, what are spirulina pellets? are they some form of algae, and how do you take your pics, all the lights off except tank I know that but what do you use a digital camera?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store