5 gallon bucket filter idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I was thinking about ways to make essentially a cheap power filter with a large capacity. I have used these before, so I drew a little pic to illustrate.

The filter in this example is a 5 gallon bucket which is placed on a shelf above the level of the top of the aquarium.

The water is pumped out of the tank into the top of the 5 gallon bucket. It flows through the media of choice, up the stand pipe out sleeve then down the stand pipe back into the aquarium. The stand pipe sleeve forces the water to travel through the media before reaching the stand pipe. Illustrated below:

5gallon.JPG

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If a screw on lid with a bead of silicone as a gasket was used and the output directed through the side, it could be a large cheap canister filter.

I'm looking at some drums with clamp on lids as alternatives to the 5 gallon bucket, but they wouldn't be anywhere near as cheap.

I'm wondering about what kind of clamping could be used to secure a regular snap on lid to make it water tight.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Intersting.

I bet it smells though

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Good point.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
...depends on the living room.

When I was in college, this setup would have gone along great with the cinderblocks holding up the 2x4's holding up the TV and the 3rd rte futon in the living room.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
had an idea.

what if you had holes drilled in the tank, much like the one in the link, but lined the media up from one end to the other and then had the exit at the other end, which would be driven by a pump. that would ensure minimal bypass.

for example, the holes would be

here--> [media,media,media]<--and here

(ok so its a sad diagram but im not one for drawing :D)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store