DIY PVC Overflow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
After reading and reading again that one should test for power outages, I made sure I did. And it worked.

But we normally dont have power outages (last one was 2.5 years ago). So I was not too worried.

3 days into cycling, power goes our for 3 hours. Talk about Murphy's Law. The sump did not overflow, and it regained its siphon so everything is hunky dory!!! :headbang2:

I am so glad I read all the posts here about the DIY overflow. While it is a bit loud with the siphon action and all, it is bearable for being much cheaper.

Had to express my gratitude for the massive knowledge base here.

Aries

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
If you made the PVC overflow stickied in DIY on the Monster Fish keepers website, put a cap on the open end of the U and drill a hole in the cap.

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
Mine is a little different than the standard setup - it sound more like one long fart being squeezed out (not so much a gurgle). Sorry for the details, but that is what the wife said.

I use less surface suction because I was afraid of food getting sucked in, or fish. I still have some surface skimming, but not a whole lot.

Anyway, I have plans to fix er up tonight to get rid of the noise once and for all.

Aries

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
If you want to slow down water flow through overflow box a ball valve in line will do the same thing.They also sell one way valves for main pump,to keep sumps from overflowing when you have a power outage.Also putting a vacuum pump on overflow tubes will get it siphoning if your not home when you lose power.Sometimes they will start on their own,sometimes not,I use one on each tube and they work great.If anything for peace of mind.I lose power alot here.Better safe than sorry.Good luck with your system,keep us posted.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
If you want to slow down water flow through overflow box a ball valve in line will do the same thing.They also sell one way valves for main pump,to keep sumps from overflowing when you have a power outage.Also putting a vacuum pump on overflow tubes will get it siphoning if your not home when you lose power.Sometimes they will start on their own,sometimes not,I use one on each tube and they work great.If anything for peace of mind.I lose power alot here.Better safe than sorry.Good luck with your system,keep us posted.
I would recommend against using a check valve. It will fail and when it does your sump will overflow. Either place the returns right below the surface where not much water will drain, or use siphon break holes. Keep in mind siphon break holes can get plugged as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store