*LOOK* Reef documentaries on TV

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
Hi there friends and neighbors. Saw this on another site and thought y'all would dig it too. The first one is on TONIGHT. It's the reef episode from the Blue Planet series. If you haven't seen it, you've got to. Far and away the best documentary on coral reefs I've ever seen. Her ya go, set your tivos and VCRs:

Thursday, May 29th 6:00PM EST
Discovery channel
Blue Planet: Seas of Life- "Coral Seas"

Friday, May 30th 9:30AM EST
National Geographic Channel
Earth Pulse - "Coral Reef"

Friday, May 30th 1:00PM EST
Outdoor Life Network
High Five - "The Reef"

Friday, May 30th 6:00PM EST
Discovery Channel
"Australia's Reef Warriors"

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
<searches frantically for the vcr remote and the realizes he is at work>

DOH!

Great list, I'll be watchin =)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Seen a couple of them already--agreed, very good stuff.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I have the Blue Planet set on DVD. Amazing is the only word for it. If anyone's interested, it is a four disc set (2 one hour long episodes per disc, 8hrs total) available from the Discovery Channel store (or online) for about $75. If you haven't seen the miniseries, WATCH IT! You'll be glad you did;)

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I have Vol.1 & 2. How is 3 & 4? I have dragged myself out to get it yet. The first two were amazing.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
They are all incredible. My favorite episodes are the open ocean and the deep sea episodes. I don't know how the heck they got the footage they did, but I just sat there wide eyed with my jaw on the floor. The reef episode is really good, as well. Not as many bizarre creatures to look at as the deep sea episode, but it provides a lot of insight into the reef systems across the world.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
Agreed, the whole series is fantastic. The reef one is my fave, but I'm biased :D

I love the time lapse growth shots and the computer generated journey into the gut of a polyp. I wish more documentaries would focus on corals and their behaviors/anatomies. Most deal primarily with fish and higher inverts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store