Bad Business???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I just don’t think this is a great idea from a business standpoint or as a fish hobbyist’s view. My LFS is a small chain within the area. They recently opened up a new store and it looks great! They have the dogs, cats, hamsters and chinchillas in larger cages. They have a couple great fish tank displays and the store just looks much better than their other stores. However…..they are still cycling all their tanks while the store is open. So they have several aquariums that are “closed” because they are being medicated. You see several dead fish and they have some fish in the back in medicated tanks. Why wouldn’t you finish cycling then open your store? If you are a fish hobbyist you are not going to buy from this store for awhile. If you are new to the hobby and see all the dead fish and medicated tanks you’re going to think there is something wrong and not buy anything. Isn’t it bad to have so many fish without cycling first? They have fresh and salt and some sensitive fish that are obviously not going to survive. What about fishless cycling? Do all stores just dump fish in new aquariums? Poor fish. I feel horrible for all of them. :(

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
They should have cycled the tanks in someone's basement before opening the store or something.

If it were me, I'd have cycled w/ ammonia and left the tanks empty until they were ready, done water changes then added fish.

There's a new pet store in my area... nice birds (2 Macaws, an African gray, and Eclectus), but the fish tanks are all old, unlit, overcrowded and just looking bad. They also have numerous small animals in aquariums (a big no-no for anything larger than mice - they have 3 large guinea pigs in a 20L) and a few reptiles. The worst thing is the dogs. They have bought entire litters of scotties & min. poodles from somewhere and have them in 2-3 pens. They're looking 3-4 months old and between the noise & stink, I doubt I'll go back in.

They have to rethink some things...

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
The sad thing is, this is the store front to online store - which people recommend alot (I would but I get charged taxes and shipping when it is 10 minutes from home).

They didnt even have Neons - one of the most common fw fish.

You WOULD think it would be cycled, but this is a store that recommends Cycle additive too...

Oh well, just there to make money is all.

Aries

Last edited by a moderator:

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
I think theres something going on with neons lately. I read somewhere that they are seasonal breeders but I don't know, for whatever reason no stores in Virginia have them right now (We received 80 over the course of the last month and instantly sold out).
Is the store centered around their fish or are the fish just an addition? It may be that the store owner decided they need to sell some of their furry creature products in order to be able to afford everything they need, and couldn't afford to wait for everything to be perfect to open. It would be nice if they just had a sign up stating "tanks are cycling, for more information on fish cycling see associate" or something like that. Or even just have the tank section curtained off so people could buy the products while the fish adjust to being in the store.

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
They are centered around fish. That is their main business.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
fish they get are dispossable assets.

they can also get preloaded sponges, additives to cycle a tank .

they have many options but will gravitate to the cheapest option. fish loss for them is part of doing business.
small shops here run drip irrigation..meaning the tanks are continually being changed.

some run closed loops or shared filtration.
I wonder if they are a chain and other stores are not too far away..if they aren't using media from existing tanks.

cycling to them is different than what many see.

I keep several tanks..no large operation but I have 10 tanks. if I start t new tank I place the new fish in the new tank and transfer bacteria from an existing tank. 3 days later the new tank is cycled.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt and guess they are using tried and true method of cycling.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
the fish store that recently opened by me had all of its tanks cycled except for one. meds were used in that one, and the meds killed every microscopic organism in the tank, but the employees were using media to recycle it.

the sotre should have its tanks cycle before hand, it looks better and wont give people that are not firmiliar with the area the impression that they dont take care of their tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store