terrestrial substrate questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I am about to build my second vivarium, having learned from my first that I would like to have more water than land. I am using a 15 gallon tall tank, that I intend to have 8-9 gallons of water in. this will give me approximately a 10 gallon tank plus the 5 gallons (6") of airspace above. this is not going to be a high light tank, or have co2. I'm trying to keep this fairly simple, in terms of plant care. swampy.

I enjoy what I have now, but I have way too much driftwood and stone taking up precious water volume. I would like this new tank to have an isolated "island" of land in one corner. This land mass is to look like the decaying roots of a fallen tree, holding back the last bits of shoreline from caving into the water. I have the structure planned out, and have 2 options in terms of substrate, the way I see it.

option 1: the terrestrial substrate is in a bowl, completely isolated from the water column

option 2: the terrestrial substrate is contained, but has a "shore" that allows water from the tank to get into the soil in one way or another, be it through submerging the edge of the bowl or by building the bowl to be pourous or have holes...

the main reason I ask this question, is that I am concerned about the terrestrial soil molding if it is constantly damp, and I have no idea if this is a real concern to vivarium builders. I plan to use a lot of terrestrial moss, covering most if not all of the land mass. I also wish to have a small tree rooted in the land mass, maybe a bonsai mangrove, lucky bamboo(Iknow I know) or some other bonsai type tree... (any ideas here welcome) ideally, I want something that grows strong, dense roots to be able to use in phase two of this tank, in a year or two. I would love to be able to keep this tree under 10" tall. I also plan on a cluster of anubias with roots dangling into the water and am interested in using vines to create a partial canopy.

if dampness and mold is an issue, then option 1 will work, but I think it will be less of what I hope to make, and may require more structure than I want to have to cover up.:)

if dampness and mold are not an issue, I would like to build the "bowl" as a birdsnest of debris... many thin branches of driftwood, a few rocks, etc, using something like a tight woven cheesecloth or mesh to contain packed gravel and soil. I know this may leach a bit, this is ok with me as long as it's slow and maintainable.... (this is meant to look like an eroded shallow swamp.) I would then completely cover the outside of the cloth bowl with java moss, and give it structure with the branches. in time, the roots of whatever is growing in the bowl would be allowed to puncture the bowl and reach out into the water column.

I'm looking for direction towards a long term plan, that allows me to garden this way. any ideas, suggestions for cloth materials, substrate options, and info on how to best use substrate above and at the water line would be much appreciated! ooh, and I'd love to hear your opinions on small filters that I can bury or box in with stone fully submerged. :idea:

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Great idea.

Yankee Dog

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
Somerville, AL
What is your plan for critters? if any. This will infuence the tank design.

I think your biggest problem will be finding a terrestrial plant that will do what you want. I dont have any specific suggestions but I would say you should think "bog". Not many plants can stand constant emersion.

I would worry about your cloth soil bag. That is something that could rot over time and release your land mass into the water all at once. If you want a soft bag use some sort of plastic screen. Dont worry, the roots will force their way through. Personally I would use some sort of hard plastic container with holes drilled in it. You need something with some structure that will maintain its shape over time.

consider an UGF. You need something to hold up the land mass anyway so you could use the uptube to support the land mass and hide the air tube with your land plants. Camoflauge the uptube by coating it with silicone and rolling it in sand, gravel, small sticks, etc. Either that or an external filter of some sort. This is going to be a rather delicate tank. You need to consider tank maintenance as you build it. An external filter can be cleaned without disturbing the tank.

yankee Dog

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
the land shelf is going to be removable, it will hook to the side of the tank using a series of anchors. I have it all planned out and found some great materials to make it happen on this site:

http://www.blackjungle.com/

which has some awesome plants too. The site gave me some good ideas regarding plants as well. I think screen will be the way to go for the most part, but I am hoping to use thin bits of driftwood to really created the basket. may use some cork bark or something as well. it will all be siliconed together to be a solid unit, the only "loose" bits being the screen full of soil and a tiny bit of gravel on the surface, which will likely be entirely covered in moss anyway.

filtration is going to happen underwater. I have no love for UGFs, and won't ever use one... but what I do plan on doing is building an acrylic box containing a powerhead and probably a diy filter box, plumbing the intake from across the tank and under the gravel, through the filter box and out the powerhead. the whole unit will then be covered with a piece of slate, invisible from the tank.

critters haven't been completely determined yet. I think inverts are on the agenda... also interested in marbled hatchets. I have some cherry barbs already that may go in... or not. depending. I'd love to keep the fish all under 1" if possible.

I've got a thread going about the filter too, if you have any input...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115868

Water>_<Dragon

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Middleburg, FL
Nice Plan Dude!:grinyes:

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
cool. I wouldn't mind using eco-complete, since it's in use in the tank next to this one... so it may keep things similar...

I am on the fence, this may or may not end up as a brackish tank, I haven't made up my mind yet.

here's a link to the shelf in progress... http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118697

Jennewt

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
USA
www.caudata.org
Have you thought about using coconut fiber (a.k.a. Bed-a-Beast or EcoEarth)? This stuff will definitely not go moldy. If it's in contact with the water, it will yellow the water slightly (like driftwood would). I have used it as a potting medium for plants that grow with roots in the water and foliage above water.

Another option is fuller's earth (aka "Water Garden Soil"), which is sold in bags at Lowes and pond stores.

Here's a photo of a tank where I used coco fiber, both as the terrestrial substrate and in the pot for the potted plant (the one that sits in the water).
http://www.caudata.org/cc/images/articles/tanks/div4.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store