Dumb question - glue from hot glue gun in the aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
Is the hot glue that is used with the gun safe for parts of that are in aqaurium water? I assume that it is not, but I wanted to ask anyway.
If it was safe it would be nice because it could be used to join plastic together in my sump project.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
from what i have heard it actually is, but i have never tried it.

-Jay

EDIT: yes it is i remember seeing DIY skimmer plans using hot glue, it is safe.

Last edited:

psariandras

AC Members
May 18, 2007
So it is not safe? thats too bad. I was thinking of using plastic bucket sides secured in a 50g plastic container to form baffles.
Nolopete, Do you think that securing plastic contanier sides inside the sterlite container to serve as baffles would work as it shown on the animation at Melevsreef(on the "what is a sump" page)? I will use something other than hot glue to secure it. -- or would it be easier to use buckets inside buckets to reach the same effect?

BTW thanks for help, I do appreaciate it. :)

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
I have heard it is safe for aquariums and actually seen people use it with no bad remarks towards it...

For what you are trying to do hot glue wont work to well anyways... you would want something more like aquarium sealant... but like i said i have seen it used on things with no problems

-Jay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store