Fishroom Multi Tank Stand Construction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm looking for some ideas on how to build multi tank stands for my fishroom. Does anyone have any DIY links, construction rules, steps, etc.? I'm planning on building out of regular 2x4s unless otherwise specified.

These are what I need so far:

135 on bottom level
110 on top

55 4' top and bottom

90 and 75 either position

15 10 gallon or 12 20H

48x18x17 on bottom
36x18 (40 breeder) on top + 1' extra space

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
Why do you want to hide them all in one room?? I'd spread them out all over the house, livingroom, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, porch.

Another issues that may possibly come up is power handling, are you sure the outlets of 1 room can handle that much useage or have you already worked something out for this?

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
They are all going in the fishroom/hatchery or maybe in the garage. I haven't decided yet. I'm going to have one freshwater and one saltwater 36x18 tank somewhere in the house.

jm, I understand your logic, but it's personal preference and making the best use of the space I have. That said, those configurations are my first thoughts and subject to change based on the feedback I get. Your idea definitely has me thinking though. Thanks. If I build them strong enough to put the two large tanks together I can always swap out the large tank for multiple small tanks.

I'd like to have it somewhat modular and bolted together, so if I change how I want them or get different tanks I can reuse parts.

crharvel

Just another...
May 18, 2007
Support your joints!

For tanks that size, go with the 4x4 corners and just make sure that your horizontal framing members are resting on notched vertical supports (or have the vertical supports placed under both sides of horizontal joints). I saw this design on a homemade stand once and it makes perfect sense. Too often I see the horizontal frames attached to the sides of the 2X4 legs and I get a little creeped knowing the only thing that is keeping the top frame from crashing to the floor is a couple of screws ( or worse nails!) waiting to shear off.

I used this approach recently as I am building a stand for my 75 but wanted to build in capacity for the inevitable 120 upgrade (see attached photos). The notching of the 4x4's was a breeze with a reciprocating saw. This thing is as solid as a rock.

The homebuilt stand sure won't cost me what I would pay for a particle board equivalent in the store... but the time investment has been longer than I thought. The prefinished beadboard paneling is the way to go!

I just had a crazy idea for access to your bottom tanks if you wanted to get fancy, you could build a high stand for the top tank (missing the front lower band) and put the bottom tank on a low roll out platform... like a trundle bed.

Good luck on your project.

Copy of IMG_0495.JPG Copy of IMG_0496.JPG aIMG_0610.JPG

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
That's a nice looking stand.

The whole thing of using 4x4s makes me wonder, since all the stands that I have that are pine are made of 1xsomethings (1x10, 1x4, etc.) I suppose they can get away with that since it's supporting all the way around.

Since it's only going to be functional, I could put the tank in place then bolt additonal support across the front for the upper tank.

crharvel

Just another...
May 18, 2007
Thanks. With the cladding in my case being non-load bearing, I had to go with the strong dimensional frame. On a linear foot basis, the 2x4's will be a considerably cheaper route for you.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would use square channel P&O stock, welded together.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
They are all going in the fishroom/hatchery or maybe in the garage. I haven't decided yet. I'm going to have one freshwater and one saltwater 36x18 tank somewhere in the house.

jm, I understand your logic, but it's personal preference and making the best use of the space I have. That said, those configurations are my first thoughts and subject to change based on the feedback I get. Your idea definitely has me thinking though. Thanks. If I build them strong enough to put the two large tanks together I can always swap out the large tank for multiple small tanks.

I'd like to have it somewhat modular and bolted together, so if I change how I want them or get different tanks I can reuse parts.
if you were to make the stande have a solid base for the tanks to sit on (not the lip of wood that most premade stand have) then the plan could work. i just saw the 110 falling through because the lip was to weak, but if the base is a board of wood that covers the entire bottom of the tank (like in the second pic above) it should be fine. you can use steel also to help with support.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Bob, what's "P&O?"

jm1212, I'm confused as to why it would matter if the entire stand is covered if the bottom rim of the tank is the only contact point with the stand. I don't see how it could help if it's not touching the tank. Am I missing something?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store