Moon crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
hi- at the local pet store they had a 20 long stocked with roughly 7 of these guys. they were big, maybe the isze of my fist, redddish with hints of brown on their carapace, and they were motionless. some were on floatable island and others were in the water hunting the feeder goldfish. ive never seen these guys before and am curious if anyone knows anything about them. they were labeled "moon crabs" for 10 dollars. i have to admit, i am tempted to buy one cause they looked really cool, but what do they need for food etc.? thanks

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
My wife said, 'Dinner'

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
some info from an internet site:
Much like a hermit, a bowl of shallow de-chlorinated
water (fish safe) and a shallow bowl of sea salted
water (fish safe - not salt for human consumption),
feed on fruit, leafy vegetables, grated raw pumpkin,
carrot etc.
Like to climb and tunnel.

They get to 6inches toe tip to toe tip, they live OK
in a big group, very sociable.

very tempting considering i got a 10 gallon tank for it. maybe a nice setup, half water, half land like a tropical beach with pool sand...very very interesting.

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
well its set. im gonna get one! now i just have to figure out how to piece this little tank together.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
no they are much happier in an aqua-terrarium.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
You read that they get 6", and then you set up a 10g for them? Isnt that like putting a convict or a JD in a 10g?

Here's something I read when I looked at a pic of a bulldog in a fish (partly) magazine: "He doesn't look like other dogs. Why feed him the same things as other dogs?". Although that quote sounded pretty stupid considering they are just breeds, fish and inverts are not breeds. But both require good living conditions and space. I think that 20g was a little small, maybe 1 in it but no more. Get a 55g or so, half land half water, and put some feeder guppies, rosy reds, or white clouds in the water. Get 2-3 crabs and, if you get feeder guppies, get a cray that gets 5" max.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store