What's Your Thoughts On This?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yellow tang

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
What do you think? I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank, with plenty of liverock, and nooks and crannies would it be possible to keep a pair of tank-raised clownfish along with a maroon clownfish or tomato clownfish with other inhabits includings tangs and so on and still maintain a peaceful enviroment?

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
It's usually recommended to keep only one kind of clown, although many people have no problems keeping more than one different kind. I would just make sure you have a Plan B if there's continuous fighting or aggression. Tomato, and especially maroons, can be really nasty.

As far as Tangs- how many and what kind do you have in mind?

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
75 is awful small for more than one kind of clown. Might be ok, if they start out young enough, though.

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
If you were going to have multiple species of clownfish in the same tank I would make sure that you don't have maroon or tomato as they are the most aggressive. A maroon clown will kill a tank raised ocelaris if kept in the same tank, happened to a friend of mine. I think people have had success mixing black clownfish with ocelaris and ocelaris with perculas should do fine.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
I wouldn't risk it. Maroon clowns get very aggressive towards other clown species when they get older. Hell they even fight with their same kind.

yellow tang

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
you know, I was looking at some pictures of the black clownfish, I think I might give it a shot and mix them with my tank-rasied clowns. I'll see how things go and keep you all updated. As for tangs, my yellow tang and my pacific sailfin tang will be moving into the 75 gallon, I was giving some thought to getting a regal tang, and when they outgrow my system I will move them into a bigger tank, which I figure it will be a good while before I have too. Also while we are on the subject of fish, what do you think about the stocking list for the 75 gallon tank, 5-7 blue/green chromis (I am wanting a nice shoaling pattern) 2 tank-raised clowns, 2 black clowns (maybe, just have to see what happens) 1 yellow tang, 1 pacific sailfin tang, 1 flame angelfish, and maybe a regal tang.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I would do ONE tank raised 2 b&W 1 yellow 6 chromis and one flame angel. Yellow tangs are very aggresive fish as well as maroons.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
The only Tang I'd consider out of the ones you listed is the Regal. Many put yellows in tanks even smaller than 75G so I know they'd disagree with me. The Sailfin I would definitely not even consider though.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
tangs are fine together as long as you dont mix similar looking ones.....for example if you want to keep a yellow for instance you'd be better keeping some sort of naso tang with him and you shouldn't have much problems....only problem there is you will need 100 gal tank minimum for the naso....i personally keep a yellow with an orange shoulder with no problems....as for the the clowns i would only keep one type in the tank....just my thoughts....good luck....:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store