new world vs old world

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
AcTwisted's thread about stocking his 125 has me thinking. Seriously how many of you actually own both new world and old world and how many of you own strictly one or the other. Being a cichlid enthusiast has me feeling like when I was a little kid when nintendo was the thing to have and sega sucked or vice versa and like with my car. Im anti mustang (which I get hell for since the GF drives a mustang) and only like GM's firebird or camaro. Its seriously like that in the fishy world with me too, Im strictly new world. I like old world though don't get me wrong its not exactly like the other biased opinion I have on things but I wouldn't own them myself until just recently I was talked into shellies. I've been thinking about owning neo. brichs but never would do it because of this new world obssesion I have and the only reason im getting the shellies is because no new world or any cichlid for that matter that I'd want to keep would fit in the empty 10 gallon I have. Anyone else like this??? I know of people I actually know being like this but I was just wondering how other members of AC were on this.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think that I might be biased toward the New World ones, but I'd keep shellies and Fronts...however, I have trouble talking myself into mbunas and the like!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I'm current on a Central American tangent, but a lot of that is because CAs match my water.

I've kept cichlids from African, SA & CA. I like them all. If you like SA or CA cichlids, I think Tanganyikans will surprise you. Unlike Malawians, Tanganyikans have more of what I would consider a SA/CA personality. However, at least where I live, Tangs are so hard to find whereas CAs and SAs are common.

Cichlids are a bit like the old Nintendo thing. I've had points where I had up to 6 tanks running, but thanks to other little critters (2 dogs, a cat, a horse, a rat, my 4 year old) I've dropped down to one tank, but I notice I spend more time visiting our local free aquariums (aka - the local fish stores) and just staring at what I don't have the time to keep. Oh well, life is a cycle, and my kid is already talking about wanting a tank!

Eric

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
I don't think I’m obsessed or have any biased opinion with my old world cichlids.
I've got two tanks filled with just Malawian cichlids though.
Basically the main reason for that is my tab waters ph etc. (but of course their coloration and behaviour too) I sure would like to own a tank stocked with new world cichlids like the JD, GT, or Tigers. I guess I’m beginning to be obsessed by those. Only the lack of space is keeping me from buying a third tank. (reluctance behaviour from the wife too). So here’s what I’m going to do. Clean up my 120g mbuna tank and put the African peacocks from the 180g into the 120g . Then selling the 180g for a fair price and buy a new hand made 240g.

Guess I’m not like someone whose “profile” answers your question .
But than again, I really don’t know how I will be like when the new tank is finished.

Jimmy

Last edited:

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
I have this thing for SA's. Probably because my water doesn't match and I have kept most everything from Africa. Right now I'm on a Crenicichla and Geophagus kick (anyone know where I can get some Geo. sp. 'Tapajos Redheads').

Still, it's hard to beat a nice Aulonocara Peacock!!

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Lol. I remember Optix's Sega-Nintendo thing. Good times. Anyways, I keep both, but by far and away have more and have had more Africans. I hesitated (but not much) when I bought the AquaLog New World Cichlids Vol. 1 but thought nothing of it when I bought Ad Konnig's much more expensive Cichlids of Lake Malawi. Also, living at home with the folks while by hobby interest bloomed kept me only to smaller tanks, unfit for all Americans besides apistos and the like. Coincidentally, when I did get a 55, what did I do? Filled it with Africans:D

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
I am partial to SAs. I do have a reef tank and have kept many Tanganyikans. Tanganyikans are too hard to come by around here too so I have given up on them. CAs are too aggressive and Malawians, while beautiful just aren't that interesting to me.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Voodoo, that's funny because I had to have Aqualog I and I drool when I flip through it. My next book is going to the Eartheaters book by Weidner. :rolleyes: At $45 a pop it sure has gorgeous pics!!

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Amozan biotope w/ discus,angels, apistos and biotomoda, plus another with tropheus. No malawis now except remnant elec yellows with the tropheus- the behaviour doesn't do it for me.
I am developing a very strong interest in amazonian cichlids at the moment - what are the other good sites, with biotope content?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store