Cory & Otocinclus - What's the difference?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fineanimal

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Minnesota
Hello,

My first 10Gal tank is currently cycling, and my research so far has revealed a lot of contradictory "facts" on bottom dwellers. So I'd like to clear that slate and ask all of you this question: What are the important differences between cories and otocinclus? I'm talking about size, behavior, hardiness, etc. I'm looking to add three of one or the other, but I'm not sure what the other residents will be yet.

Thanks!
Paul

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
otos eat algae
cories eat almost anything on the bottom

same size pretty much

otos tend to be hyper
cories more laid back

otos (I'm told) are very sensitive and can even starve in a tank with feeding
cories are more tolerant, but not as tolerant as a danio

If you don't have a lot of algae (and you probably don't in a cycling tank) don't add otos. Get cories, they are neat, fun fish. Later, if you start to have an issue with algae, then add otos.

Keep in mind that both are schooling fish (like danios) and more is better, but with otos, more won't have enough to eat in a 10g tank.

Three otos have pretty much cleaned my 55 in a week.

fineanimal

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Minnesota
Thank you for the responses. Those are kinds of great answers I was looking for!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
10 gal? Go small cory.

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
You can do 2-4 ottos in a 10G. The keys are to make sure you get big healthy ones to start with, and get them to recognize algae wafers as food asap. I've found that the Wardley's brand is much more readily accepted by ottos than brands like Hikari which is the favorite of my BN's/Cories.

Cories won't clean algae in your tank, so you'll want to make sure to watch your lighting or expect to do a decent amount of scrubbing.

fineanimal

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Minnesota
All good responses, thanks again.

NinjaPirate--since you're in Minnesota you might appreciate the name I gave to my Betta (in a smaller tank): Garrison Keillor. Their faces look eerily similar :)

hughitt1

Registered Hamster Rancher
Jun 18, 2006
Maryland
en.wikipedia.org
Cories tend to school together when you have 3-4 or more of them. Otos occasionally will hang out together, but for the most part will each be off munching on algae in different places. When it comes to hardiness, it really depends on which cories you are thinking of getting, and also a degree of luck with the otos. Some cories such as pandas are really sensitive to water conditions.

What else are you going to have in the tank? In either case I would recommend you consider adding some driftwood and live plants (hygro polysperma, bacopa, sagittaria, java fern and foxtail all come to mind for a low-light 10-gallon. The otos will love to rasp onto them, and it will provide much more surface for them to graze on. Also, most fish will enjoy the added security of having some plant cover.

Depending on what other fish you are planning to add, I would recommend no more than 2 otos, or 3 small cories. I would also wait until later to add the catfish if you are plannin on adding other fish.. cories and otos will not do well in a cycling tank. Oh ya.. as for size, the otos are smaller on average than most cories (except for pygmy, panda and other small cories). The otos will get up to about 1.5-2'' max.. some cories such as bronze and skunk cories can can get up closer to 3''.

Goodluck!

fineanimal

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks, Keith!

I'm still deciding on the other inhabitants. It'll really depend on answers to my schooling question in the Freshwater Newbie forum. I really like Mollys, but they don't seem appropriate for a 10g tank. I really want a few "transparent" fish, but they all seem to be Tetras that require larger schools. Otherwise, Platys seem hardy and attractive. I just don't want to overstock, so I'm taking my time deciding.

I've been concerned about live plants because this is my first real tank, and I've got my hands full with cycling, keeping my Zebra Danios alive, etc. This goes off-topic, but are the live plants easy to grow in gravel? It seems strange to grow plants without soil. It must be more difficult than just tossing a bulb into the water! That said, I would love to have live plants, if possible.

Great point about waiting to add the bottom-dwellers. I made videos of fish at PetCo yesterday so I could analyze their behavior at my leisure at home, and the cory cats (emerald green and albino) definitely have a fun factor that can't be beat.

Oh, another question: My substrate is smooth browish gravel, going for the natural look. Do cories and/or Otos prefer sand? If so, do I have to replace the substrate, or just fill in the gravel with sand? Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store